NINE

The past month seems to have gone by in a flash. But it felt like I spent an eternity in it. All of my time was spent studying and giving exams. Today was the last one and I'm glad all of the torture is finally over. From what I've learned with my post-exam discussions with Riley, I did pretty well.

I haven't seen Liam since that night at the pub and to be honest, I'm grateful. Who has time to worry about boys with exams looming over their heads? Anyway, I doubt I'll ever see him again.

I haven't talked to Lucas either since we were both super busy.

Right now I'm packing some of my stuff to visit my mom because I'm free for a couple of weeks and then next month, we finally graduate.

~~~

I've been having a lot of fun spending time with my mom after all this time. As a lawyer, she's usually very busy but has been trying to take out some time for me. Her husband, George, is also a lawyer. He was here during the first few days of my visit but is now travelling for work. I like George; he's nice and surprisingly pretty fun to hang out with.

I'm driving to the grocery store to grab a few things since mom and I plan to cook dinner together tonight. More like, she will cook, and I will annoy her. I park in front of the local store, and walk towards it. As I reach the sliding glass doors, I notice there are a few posters around them. A few of them grab my attention.

MISSING

Help bring Erica Jones home!

Last seen October 8th at Blue Island Mall, wearing a green top,

has red hair and green eyes, 20 yo, 5'4", 130 pounds,

If you have any information,

please call Dwayne Jones at the number below.

There's a picture of the girl next to it with thick red curls that reach a little below her shoulder, pale skin, and green eyes.

Next to the poster there are two another similar ones for a 22 year old Hannah and 23 year old Jessica.

I'm shocked looking at the posters. This is a small town and everyone here is a part of a tightly knitted community. It seems young girls have been going missing here for over two months now. I shudder at the thought and quickly grab the things I need and return home.

Once my mom is back, I decide to ask her about the missing girls.

"Hey mom, you never told me anything about kidnappings happening around town," I say looking at her as she is preparing our meal.

"Yeah, it's so sad honey. Their parents must be so worried," she replies.

"What are the police saying?" I ask.

"They've been searching for two months now. A town this small, they've looked everywhere and still haven't found any clues. The chances of finding them get lower every day," she says solemnly.

Suddenly a thought strikes me.

"Mom, you don't think dad's pack has anything to do with this," I ask. The pack lives in the woods nearby. It's a lot deep into the woods so no human accidentally tumbles upon it.

"You know how they feel about humans, April, why would they kidnap them," she says. I can hear anger in her voice. It was the very same pack that didn't allow my mother to be with her mate just because she was a human. She's probably right though, otherwise I would've seen something while I went into the woods for my runs.

"Yeah, you're right. I just hope those girls are okay," I say trailing off.

"Me too," she replies.

We talk about random things as we eat and both go to bed early. Mom has to go to work in the morning and I have to go back as well. Graduation is in 3 days. Mom and George plan on attending it but they will come on the day as they're both very busy. I'm heading back a little early to get everything in order.

~~~

Liam

It's been more than a month since I've seen her. My wolf is mad at me that I'm not doing anything to change that. Lucas told me they had exams and that I shouldn't bother April for a while and I've been patient.

The Blood Moon pack sent a few wolves to monitor our territory and we were lucky we caught them in time before they could report back. Tensions are high and I know that my father will try to make peace instead of fight back. I need to take over as Alpha as soon as possible.

Tomorrow is Lucas's graduation and I will get my mate here even if I have to force her to do it. I cannot put my pack in danger any longer just because of some stupid tradition.