TWENTY-TWO

Liam

The conversation with all the Alphas that attended the ceremony must have gone longer than I expected because almost everyone has left by the time I arrive back at the front yard. The Alphas also departed back to their packs. I offered them to stay the night but they refused.

River and I are both over the moon today. I was finally crowned Alpha and things are starting to get better with April. I still feel bad about hurting Tyler the other day. Ever since he explained the whole situation to me, I realised I overreacted. I was so angry at that moment, I grabbed her unconsciously. I was just trying to inhale her scent because it seemed to be the only thing that calmed me down but instead I scared her and she got pissed off.

"It's fine. She forgave us." River consoles me.

I decide to go back home since that's probably where April went. I feel bad for making her wait so long. She must be really tired. I follow her strong scent through the woods, rushing to be with her once again. As I approach the house, I spot Tyler exiting it and running towards the woods. What was he doing here? Just the thought of April with him is enough to enrage me. I walk inside and his scent is everywhere.

"How did you get back so-," I hear April yell out but she stops as soon as she sees me. She was waiting for that asshole? River growls in anger and rage consumes me.

"What were you doing with him," I growl loudly.

"What do you mean," she asks. She was with him when she should have been with me. His scent is all around the room, but most importantly, it's all over her.

"I can smell him on you," I roar as I try to fight River for control.

She still looks confused and asks, "Smell who?" Goddess, does she think I'm stupid? I saw him leave the house and here she is lying to me while I can still smell his scent all over her.

I grab her arm and pull her up from the couch.
"I would have expected something like that from Tyler but I honestly thought you were better than that," I spit out, the thought of her betrayal igniting a fire within me.

"Liam, let go, you're hurting me," she yells.

"Oh, I'm hurting you? What about what you're doing to me," I ask her. How could a wolf do that to their mate?

She shouts for me to let her go and I push her back on the couch.

"I should've known better," I snarl.

"How could I expect someone like you to respect the mate bond?" A look of hurt flashes across her eyes but I am full of too much anger to stop now.

"Someone like me?" She asks quietly.

"No real wolf would ever get close to someone that's not their mate," I state and walk out of the house as I feel River try to take control from me. I'm afraid he might do something that we will both regret so I run out and shift, making my way into the woods.

"Leave me alone tonight and if anything comes up, deal with it," I mind-link Jason.

"Is everything okay, Liam?" He responds back, worry lacing his voice.

I cut off the mind-link and block everyone. Running as fast as I can, I push my legs to their limit. River is hurt from the betrayal but still wants me to go back to her. The moment I see her again, he will forgive her, I'm sure of that. Unfortunately for him, I am not that forgiving. I run for what feels like hours until I tire myself out. I will kill Tyler once I get my hands on him. I don't know how long I sit under a tree, trying to calm myself down. Unknowingly, I fall asleep, still in my wolf form.