xxii. meal time

CHAPTER TWENTY TWO!

MEAL TIME.

IN A WORLD ON THE BRINK OF BRUTAL DESTRUCTION, it's hard to find any real reason to be happy. Everybody, however, has their own form of happiness - something that brings them true joy. For many it's family, for other's it's money - it's truly subjective. For Elena, it's the people she surrounds herself with, those who she really cares about.

Jace, Finnick and Peeta - the three people that she clutches onto for a sense of normality. Then there are the others whom she enjoys being around - Katniss, Prim, Annie.

So therefore, seeing all of them everyday has the ability to bring a small smile to her face and brighten up her day. Even on the worst of days, she can always count on at least one of them to be there for her when she needs somebody.

"How does it feel knowing today you'll get out properly?" Elena questions the blonde boy who is finally getting to leave the room for more than a few minutes.

"Good," is his soft reply.

"We can go and get you something to eat,"

"Sounds good,"

Elena greatly detests the shackles around his wrists but is unable to fight Coin on them, annoyance filling her even more so when the two large guards are forced to follow them. In order to ease the tension he is obviously feeling, she manages to loop her arm through his as they head towards the food. The blonde girl makes up a tray for the both of them and they walk over to the table where Finnick, Katniss, Gale and a few others are seated.

"Are you okay with sitting here?" She mummers quietly and receives a nod in response. "Hey guys," Elena greets the people at the table.

"Hi Elena, hello Peeta!" A bubbly voice greets, the voice of a girl named Delly. Elena had met the girl a few days prior when she'd come to see Peeta. Apparently, the two of them were friends growing up in District Twelve - Elena is grateful that Peeta has another friend to turn to.

"What's with the fancy bracelets?" Johanna asks as she gestures to Peeta's hands.

"I'm not quite trustworthy yet, no matter how hard Elena tried to fight them on it. I can't even sit here without your permission," Peeta comments.

"He can sit here. We're old friends. We shared adjoining cells in the Capitol and we're very familiar with each other's screams,"

Elena flinches as the words as she sits beside her brother, Peeta brushing his hand against her's as best as he can to give her some sort of comfort. Jace gives the two of them a smile in greeting before returning to his beef stew.

"If we're going to fit that walk in, we better go," Finnick says after a few moments as he looks at his wife. Annie nods her head and they get to their feet, Finnick holding Annie with one arm and their trays with the other. "Good seeing you Peeta,"