6. Limp

Sleeping proved to be difficult that night. Before I went to bed I tried icing it and elevating it, but the swelling didn't go down. The sharp pain in my ankle woke me up multiple times during the night, causing me to only get 3-4 hours of sleep total. I was really dreading having to get out of bed. I would much rather deal with the pain in the comforts of my warm bed than at school. Plus, I'm going to try and walk on it today so I don't draw to much attention to myself. I don't want people fussing.

I get up and go to the bathroom to brush my teeth and do my hair. I added a little bit of concealer to my routine because of my under eye bags. As for my outfit, I decided to just go with a tan skirt with black tights and a sweatshirt. I need shoes that won't squeeze too much on my fat ankle, so I decide to go with a pair I have that are a size to big for me. I have a pretty heavy limp that's very obvious, but I can play it off. I really don't want to draw too much attention because people would try and get me to go to the doctors which would cost more money than Abbie is willing to spend.

I painfully limped to the kitchen where I took some Advil, then tossed the bottle into my backpack. With all of the pain in my ankle, I really don't feel like eating, but you aren't supposed to take Advil on an empty stomach so I took an apple and sat at the old wooden table in the kitchen. The house only had a small kitchen with a crappy old table, a living area with a run down leather couch and a old fashioned TV, two bedrooms and one bathroom between the bedrooms. The house was unkempt I'm guessing because of how often Abbie was gone, it seemed like she is always at her boyfriend's house.

As I was eating the apple, I saw a note of the table. It read "My car was running super low on gas so I took ur car. Maybe catch a ride with a friend or walk. -Abbie." 'For fudge sakes' I thought to myself. Well, since walking is out of the question, I guess I'll just have to text Hallie to see if she can give me a ride.

Texts with Hallie

P- Hey, my sister took my car last night without telling me. Could you give me a ride?

H- Yea no problem, Holland can drive is, I got my license revoked.

P- thank you!

End convo

I waited on the porch for Hallie and and her brother to pull up, and within a couple of minutes there we pulling in front of my house. I walked as normally as I could over to the car but the grimace on my face kinda gave me away. As I got in the car, the first thing Hallie did was ask "you ok? You're limping pretty bad." I tried to think of an excuse in my head but couldn't think of one, so I decided to just tell the truth. "Yea I slipped on a rock yesterday, but it's no big deal it's already feeling better." Feeling better my ass, it's almost worst than yesterday. "The pained look on your face says otherwise, you should probably go to the hospital, I can take you after school" The deep voice of Hallie's brother fills the car. "No! I mean... that's really kind of you but I don't need to go, like I said, it's getting better." I respond quickly. Holland just gives me a suspicious glance through the rear view mirror and continues driving without saying anything else.

We arrived at school and I walked to my first period which was Math today. When I walked into the math classroom I saw Jasper and Alice sitting at one of the desks. We got to school early so we were the only two in classroom. I limped over to my desk, making sure to keep my face as neutral as possible.

Before my bottom even hits the chair, I hear a deep, southern voice speak from beside be.

"Are you alright darlin'?"

"Yea! I'm fine!" I say pretending I don't know what he's talking about.

I hear Alice's soft voice speak from beside Jasper. "You're limping pretty bad Posie. You shouldn't lie to us."

For some reason when she said that, I actually did feel guilty for lying to them.