Chapter Thirty Two: Claim

CALLIE

Once again, Vik had disappeared. Having yelled at Callie and stormed off, he hadn't been seen since. And while Callie's parting words with Vanessa were not entirely friendly, they were as civil as they were going to get.

It didn't take long for Vik's parents to hear of the altercation and sure enough, the enforcer following Callie around – who had snuck off during her time tending the market stall and had only returned once it was done – told her that both her and Vik were required to go and see the alphas. Callie had a feeling they'd out stayed their welcome.

Now if only she could find Vik.

She'd eventually returned to the house to find that even Kennedy was absent. So, she'd washed up the mugs from the coffee this morning. Had sat on the sofa for a while and stared at the wall and was just about to venture out in the search of more food when the front door slammed open.

"Vik," she whispered in confusion. He stood in the door way, the sun blinding her for a moment. It was his wolf that watched her. An unfamiliar look on his face. He smiled a purely feral smile when he spotted her and stalked towards her.

Callie felt like prey.

He swallowed the room as he headed towards her, intent written across every line of his face. "Vik?" she questioned as she backed up on instinct.

Still he headed for her, shoving the kitchen table and the chairs tucked underneath it out of his way. "Vik! What are you doing?"

On he stalked. Four steps away. Three. Two.

He paused, his eyes skittering over her, drinking her in, pinning her to the spot.

Her heart hammered in her chest, loud and insistent. Her breathing tightened, her chest pooling with warmth. She shuddered at the possessive gaze in his eyes. She wanted to touch him, to lean across the gap between them and trace every line on his face. She wanted him.

His head tilted.

"I remembered something from my childhood."

Callie blinked, a surprised laugh erupting from her throat. That was not what she was expecting him to say. She frowned in confusion.

"From our childhood. I mate claimed you, when we were small."

Callie laughed again, her mind swinging from wanting him to confusion quick enough to give her whiplash. "What on earth are you talking about?"

He smiled deeper. Callie shivered – and not from fear. "We were young. Maybe two or three. And I mate claimed you. That's what this is between us. It's why my wolf didn't want to let you go – why I don't. It's because you're mine – you always have been."

Callie laughed again, a little more nervously this time. "Vik, that was a long time ago. We were just kids." But there was something inside her chest that burned. Something that tugged her towards him.

Impossible. It couldn't be. Impossible.

"It doesn't matter," he said, taking another step towards her, his eyes full of need. "You've always been mine. I've always been yours. No matter what."

"No matter what," she repeated, the words stirring something in her chest. She stopped retreating from him and instead stepped towards him. Once, then twice. And then he was there.

His hands wrapped around her, their lips clashing together. Her hands slid over his neck and tangled in his hair, dragging him closer. A breathy moan escaped her, her back arched into him as his lips slid down her jaw, her neck, his hands leaving a blazing trail everywhere they touched.