Chapter Thirty Four: Face

The following morning, a basket of fresh bread and milk had been left on the doorstep along with a note welcoming Callie back to the Magnum pack and offering her and her friends to join them all for breakfast.

She glanced over her shoulder at Vik whose gaze heated her blood. She could still feel him on her, in her, his every touch leaving an echo on her skin.

Kennedy groaned and buried her face back in the sofa, muttering something about them getting a room in a different house, and Callie blushed, laughing as she broke eye contact with Vik before – as she'd seen in that look – he grabbed her and dragged her back into the bedroom.

Would it always be like this? She wanted to ask someone who was mated if this was normal. Because this didn't feel normal. How did mated couples get anything done?

"We've been invited for breakfast," she said conversationally. "Shall we go?"

She looked to Kennedy, who's head had popped up at the mention of food and then to Vik whose gaze was weary. No matter how many times she'd told him last night (and again this morning), that she belonged to only him and vice versa, his wolf was unsettled being here.

Kennedy was already heading out the door but Vik hesitated. She gave him a small smile and held out her hand towards him. He stared at it for a moment and then slowly walked towards her, ignoring her hand to loop an arm around her shoulder. "You'll need to stay near me. My wolf is vying for control."

She knew it was. She could see the yellow flecks in his eyes. Feel the slight pressure of claws on her shoulder. "If it's too much, we can leave. I just need to speak to Henderson and the other old wolves."

"I'm sorry," he muttered quietly as they headed for the communal hall.

Callie shook her head before leaning into him. "I get it. I should have thought about Caleb before we came here. I completely forgot, it just didn't cross my mind."

She felt and heard the satisfied growl from his wolf at that comment.

She bit her lip to hide her smile.

"Callie!" A voice called, making Vik freeze as his wolf searched for danger. She placed a placating hand on him and turned towards Felicity. "I'd heard you were back, I'm so pleased, I-" the words died on her tongue as she spotted Vik. Her wolf flashed forwards and a growl slid from between her lips.

Vik's wolf glowed in his eyes, assessed the old woman before him and dismissed her as no threat. Another growl slid past Felicity's lips.

Extricating herself from Vik's hold, Callie walked towards the growling she-wolf, arms raised. "It's OK Felicity. Vik is no threat. He's my mate."

Felicity's wolf directed her attention on Callie, her head tilting as the wolf considered the threat before, finally, her wolf faded. "He's the beast from the valley, I recognise his scent," Felicity said, her voice slightly hoarse.

Callie smiled awkwardly. "Um, yeh, kinda. Turns out he wasn't that dangerous." Vik scoffed behind her, insulted, which didn't help. She glared at him for effect.

Felicity shook her head, staring between the two of them. "What have you done Callie? Did he force you? Did he-" Vik's growl was cut off by Callie's.

"No. Of course not," she said, anger lashing through her veins. She tried to reign it in, tried to calm her wolf who had not appreciated the insult to her mate. "Please, Felicity. He is no threat. And I'm happy. Please," she begged again.

The old woman still looked distrustful but she nodded in agreement. "Very well. Let's go get some breakfast and perhaps you can tell me how it is you came to be mated to the beast of Shadow Valley." The old woman drew herself up to her full height and marched off. Callie and Vik exchanged a glance and followed behind her.

"They really call me the 'beast of Shadow Valley'?" Vik whispered to her.

Callie grimaced and nodded, glancing at him when he didn't respond. The self-satisfied smirk was enough to make Callie want to punch him. "You're seriously impressed by that?" she accused.

Vik shrugged. "It's got an air of mystery about it."

Callie rolled her eyes. "One minute you can't stand the thought of being a monster and the next you love the fabled nickname you've been given. I cannot read you sometimes," she muttered.

He merely laughed, placed his arm around her shoulder and kissed the top of her head.

"I wouldn't have it any other way, mate."