Chapter Seventy

Resting my head against the cool glass, I stare out the window at the highway signs and passing cars

Resting my head against the cool glass, I stare out the window at the highway signs and passing cars. Next to me, Damian places his hand over mine and gives it a reassuring squeeze. I flash a faint smile, knowing he can see right through me.

"It'll be okay," he whispers.

I cringe when we drive by a large sign that reads "Welcome to Starkton." There is nothing warm or welcoming about this town.

"I already miss the cabin," I mumble.

"Me, too." He kisses the top of my head. "Just remember that you're coming to my house, to our home. You don't ever have to see Hank again."

I flinch at the sound of his name. Since admitting to an entire room of petrified students that my father beats me, I haven't thought about him as much. It's as if getting it off my chest made me forget about the years of physical and emotional turmoil that he put me through.

Of course, I didn't forget. I never will, no matter how badly I want to put the past behind me.

We arrive at Starkton High twenty minutes later. After hugging Cordelia and thanking her for inviting us, Damian and I sneak into the shadows so we can teleport back to his house.

Our home.

Dropping our suitcases, we flop down on his bed. His lips find mine instantly, kissing me like me like we've been apart for ages.

"Damian," I murmur, pulling away just enough to speak, "what are we going to tell your mom?"

He knits his brows together. "Layla, are you really thinking about my mom right now?"

"Yes."

Chuckling, he shakes his head. "We'll tell her the truth. She might be more strict about sleeping arrangements, but she'll support us. She loves you."

A lead ball rolls off my chest as I exhale a sigh of relief. Since Damian and I took our relationship to the next level, I've been worrying nonstop about what everyone will think, Moira included. She's always been like a mother to me, and I never want that to change.

"Crap! There's somewhere I have to be," Damian announces suddenly.

I can't mask my disappointment. With a nod, I slide out from beneath him and straighten out my wrinkled clothes.

"Hey, don't pout." His hands cup my face, and I can't help but smile. "I'll be back in ten minutes. I just have to pick up my stuff from Jessica's house. If I don't, I fear she'll burn it all."

"Fair enough," I say, still grinning from ear to ear. Jessica isn't someone I'm jealous of. I know how Damian feels about me. I trust him.

"I'll see you soon," he promises, bringing his lips to mine for one last kiss.