Revealing

"What?" Rosemary whispered, not being able to believe her ears.

"I wish to court you, Rosemary." Dorian repeated. "I've always been quite nervous around you. I never know what to say to you because my heart doesn't listen to him."
Rosemary gulped and was going to say something but Dorian continued. "I've always wanted to talk to you about this but I never really got the chance to. Until today."

"I think that I'm falling in love with you." Dorian said and Rosemary stood up hurriedly.

"I need some space. And air." She said as she walked away from the table. She started to bite her lips as she paced a short distance. "This is not happening right now. Why now? Why me?" She mumbled to herself.

"Rose?" He called out for her, not sure if he should comfort her.

"Just give me a minute." She said, her eyes closed.

She sat on her knees and tried to slow down her heartbeat. Rosemary had always wanted someone to love her but she had already made up her mind about leaving London as soon as possible. Should she stay? Would Dorian protect and support her? They did not know each other as well as they should if she agreed to court him.

"Oh goodness." She closed her face with her hands and absorbed the coldness from it. She gasped as she stood up. "Did Basil know about this?"

"Y-yes." He said, wondering if that would make any difference. "I asked him for his permission and blessing. I wanted to ask Diana but I wanted to know how you felt before that."

Rosemary raised her eyebrows. "You did the right thing there." She told him as she walked back to the table. "Listen to me, Dorian. I am not the right woman for this society. My thoughts and faiths are much more than what can be offered here. My main aim in life has been to leave London as soon as possible and I have that opportunity now. I am flattered that you feel this way but-"

"I think you do too." He said. "Which is why I just had to tell you. Today. I need to know how you feel before...if you leave."

Dorian wanted her to give him a chance to prove that he could give her everything that she wanted. But he couldn't be as straightforward as he wanted to be and Rosemary couldn't reveal her true feelings to him.

"Dorian...I don't want to lie."

"Then don't." He knelt in front of her and took her hands in his. "I love you." He said. "I wouldn't have it any other way. If you leave, I'll wait for you. But if you think that your feelings for me are even a little like what I have for you, please consider staying."

Rosemary breathed, not being able to say anything. "Are you sure?" She asked him. "I am not who you think I am. We don't know much about each other and-"

"Which is why I am suggesting that we court each other. I have feelings for you and I've never felt this way before. I don't want to feel the same for anyone else because you are who I want."

She couldn't meet his eyes as she wanted to break his heart and she couldn't do so if she got lost in his dark eyes. She couldn't tell him that she had feelings for him too but he already knew that. She couldn't tell him that she had liked him ever since the party but he would have taken it the wrong way if she had revealed her feelings.

"I've hid my feelings for you for far too long." She finally said with her eyes closed.

"You-" He started, not being able to believe it.

"Yes." She affirmed. "I have feelings for you as well, Dorian."

He was overcome with happiness and he pulled her into a gentle kiss. It lasted only for a few seconds before she broke it. "I can't promise anything." She breathed out. Her head was feeling a little heavy and she did not know if it was from the kiss or the worry about the decision that she had to make. "I need some time to think."

"Take all the time that you need." He whispered, still holding her face in his hands.

He rested his forehead against hers and took a really deep breath, not being able to believe that she felt the same way as he did. He was going to give her all the time that she needed and he wasn't going to give up on them.

"I cannot give you an answer right now. But I do need you to...I need time to think." She said once again.

"I am happy as long as you are thinking about it."

Rosemary knew that she needed to leave there. The air had gotten musty all of a sudden. "I think I'm going to leave." She stood up. "I'll try to give you an answer as soon as possible."

"It's completely alright." He stood up as well.

Rosemary started walking towards the steps that would lead her to the mansion but before she left, she knew that she had to tell Dorian something that had been running on her mind. "Dorian?" She called out and turned around, rubbing her thumbs together in nervousness.

"Yes?" He asked, turning around to see her.

"Can I ask you to do something for me?" She asked. "It's really a request."

"Anything." He said and Rosemary wondered if he really meant it.

"It is a very big thing to ask and not really my place to do so."

"Name it." He persisted.

"Stay away from Henry."

"But-"

"Just promise me that you will stay away from him till I make a decision."

Dorian didn't know why she was asking him to do so but he really cared for her and knew the answer that he was going to give. "I promise."

Little did both of them know that Henry was actually the bad guy in this story.