N I N E

Sunday rolls around quickly, too quickly for my liking, and before I know it, it's almost time for brunch with Knox's parents.

Although I know it's something that I can't put off, and I shouldn't even bother trying, I'm trudging around the house as though if I walk slowly enough, time will pass. It doesn't.

"Babe, come on." Knox says placatingly when he walks into the kitchen and sees me still cleaning the same spot on the island that I was ten minutes ago.

"Why can't you just go without me? Tell her...tell her I came up with the flu last minute." I let out a cough into my hand.

Knox shook his head, a small smile on his face. "It won't be all that bad, I promise. And Kat is going to be there too." He said like the mention of his elder sister, who recently gave birth, being at the brunch should make me power walk to the bathroom and shower.

Rolling my eyes, I turn to the sink. "Great, just great."

Knox doesn't hear the sarcasm in my voice, or if he does, he doesn't acknowledge it as he wraps his arms around my waist, pulling me into him. Slowly, but not entirely reluctantly, I turn around. His silvery grey eyes stare at my face, as if searching for something before moving to my eyes.

"It's gonna be okay. You just be your normal, lovable self and before you even say mortal combat, it'll be over."

I don't laugh at his video game reference, instead standing up on my toes slightly since Knox is taller than me with a few inches, and pecking his lips. "Or before I can even say orgasm, hmm?"

The presence of his body so close to mine was reminding me of something that I haven't had in a while. Sex. Passionate, hot, sweaty sex. Not for lack of trying on my part, but it just seemed that Knox was hardly ever up for it. He was either too tired, asleep the moment he came home from work, or too busy doing one thing or the other, or at some moments, straight up not in the mood.

It was crazy to me because according to what I've heard, it took married couples at least two years to get tired of sex but here I was, barely at my first year anniversary and I was one month celibate. It's bad enough that the novelty of being a newlywed for me wore off pretty quickly, after Knox lost his job to be specific, now our sex life (or lack there of) was nothing to write home about.

I was willing and ready to rectify that.

"We still have some time before we're supposed to begin the drive." We didn't. Not if I wanted to go there showered and dressed up properly, but I didn't care. Darlene would no doubt go off on us if we arrived late but that was inevitable regardless.

Knox kissed me. A sweet, almost chaste kiss that barely contained any passion.

Didn't contain, or it's not just the pair of lips you want?

I hated my conscience for pointing that out to me because before I knew it, a picture of Ryder showed up behind my eyelids and the mere imagination of kissing him was enough to heat me up inside out, and make me put more passion into my kiss with Knox. The more we kissed, the more desperate I became, my panties growing damp quickly as I chased the high of the thought that I was passionately kissing the one man that I wasn't supposed to.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa," Knox chuckled as he pulled away from me. "Easy, vixen."

His lips were a beautiful shade of red, and I stared at them with lowered lids as I wondered what mine looked like. They felt swollen and almost uncomfortable. Then my eyes shifted up to his eyes and it was like the force of what I just did slammed into me. Regret pooled fiercely in my belly and I pulled away from Knox, completely this time so as to put some distance between us. "Maybe I should go shower after all," I muttered lowly.