TWO

That night a gloomy Merlin returned to the small cave where he and Morgana were hiding after losing Nimue.

“I've checked the surroundings. It seems they haven't followed us” he leaned his back against one of the walls while his downcast gaze fell on the sword he held firmly in his hands.

The atmosphere was tense and the cave was not particularly inviting except for a small fire that Morgana made while Merlin checked the exterior.

“I can't believe Sister Iris did that. His eyes... they were full of hatred” she murmured with a slight sob trying to understand why she had done it.

Still leaning against the wall, the magician closed his eyes for a few seconds hoping that when he opened them again it would all have been a terrible dream.

“Merlin ... do you want us to talk? You haven't mentioned her all day and--”

“We cannot stay here all night, the Red Paladins and the Trinity must not be far away, it is a matter of time before they find us. Let's rest for a couple of hours and leave as soon as possible” he exclaimed uncomfortably avoiding the question before Morgana could finish speaking.

“I understand your pain. I also lost an important person to me and Nimue was my friend” Morgana looked at him sweetly trying to prevent her words from making him feel so alone.

The slowly burning firelight showed their weary faces and puffy eyelids.

“She had her eyes” the magician whispered still with her last word ringing in his ears, “Lenore's kind eyes” he added shaking and his voice cracking unable to help crying, “they killed them both. They took Nimue from me and they will pay for what they did.”

“Wait Merlin, what are you planning to do? Don't do anything crazy, I don't want to have to go after you when you die for simple revenge” she look at him with alarm.

“I have my magic back and I have the Sword of Power. I can't let them do what they want and kill the people we love. I'm going to stop them!” he answered bluntly getting up quickly and in anger.

Merlin hurried towards the exit of the cave when suddenly a confused thought made him stop in his tracks turning slowly towards her.

“Morgana...” he said doubtfully, “What are you doing here?”

“What do you mean?”

“You are here in this cold cave with me. Why?”

Merlin's low, altered voice made her skin crawl as she tried to figure out what he meant.

“You should have taken her” he continued.

In that instant Morgana understood her words.

“Now you are the widow Morgana. And if you are here...”

“... Nimue is alive!” she concluded.