Two

(flashback)

"Caw! Caw! Emergency! A demon slayer is requesting for backup!! Head to the mountains for support!" A crow flew to the water pillar in circles.

Wasting no time, Tomioka ran to the mountains. He didn't even break a sweat as he sped up in search for a demon. While running, he saw shards of ice and small traces of snow scattered all over the area and most of the trees were either uprooted or broken.

"They could be nearby."

It was strange to see snow in the summer season but it could either mean that the slayer uses ice breathing technique, one of the rare breathing techniques, or the demon has a blood demon art that can use ice.

Up ahead, he saw a female slayer thrown to a tree, her head and arm bleeding as a demon stood in front of her, her katana thrown far from her reach.

"Itadakimasu."

He pulled out his katana and sliced the demon's head off, turning his body to ash in the process. Sheathing back his blade, he looked back to the injured girl who is leaning against the tree.

She looked young, 12 years old more or less. Her hair was white and her skin looked fair, but it was now tainted red from blood, along with her ripped, white haori. He heard her sigh, probably from relief.

He picked her katana and asked her "Can you move?"

Instead of replying, she closed her eyes and lost conscious. He sheathed her katana and he lifted her up, princess style. He glanced down to her sleeping face.

"Good job for holding them off."

And he descended the mountain to go to the nearest village.

(end)

It was lucky that the village has a chief doctor that is also aware of the existence of demon slayers. He tended to her wounds and let her occupy the empty cot for her to rest.

"Mercifully, no major damages on the girl." The doctor told Tomioka, "Well, for a normal human, injuries like hers are very fatal but, since she's a trained demon slayer, she'll survive."

"Thank you." The water Hashira nodded.

He smiled in reply before making a sad expression, "I know that most of the demon slayers are young people but... to think a girl as young as her is already out there doing dangerous missions to protect the civilians... It's painful for me to see her in that state."

Tomioka could only nod, already accepting the pitiful fates of young demon slayers.

The white haired girl stirred in her sleep and she opened her eyes to adjust the lamp's light. The doctor quickly went to her side.

"How do you feel, child?"

She blinked and looked around to observe her surroundings. Relief settled in her when she realized she's inside a small clinic of sort. She saw the man who saved her earlier standing by the doorway. Next to her is the doctor.

"Ano...where am I?" She asked as she slowly sat up.

"Kano village. I'm the chief doctor and rest assured that I'm aware of the existence of slayers like you." He smiled warmly, "Iyaaah... You're already a slayer at such a young age. In behalf of the townspeople, thank you for saving us."

"Ah, you don't have to so thankful. I'm just doing my duty." she sheepishly said as she looked down and saw herself mostly covered by bandages, "Thank you for taking care of me."

"It's nothing compared to the deed you did, young lady." He stood up and bowed. "I'll be taking my leave. Rest here for a few days. Food and sleep will help you heal faster. You don't have to worry about the fees since slayers are tended for free."

"Thank you."

He stopped in front of the young man "She will be fine. A few days rest and she'll be all good. Sigh, you slayers really are amazing. You heal fast."

The doctor left the room, leaving the two inside. It was silent, as she was nervous to speak to someone older and more experienced than her.

"How is your body?" Tomioka asked, breaking the ice.

She flinched in surprise and meekly replied, "I-I'm mostly fine now. Ano... Thank you for saving me, etto..."

"...Tomioka Giyu."

"Tomioka-san." She bowed.

He stepped closer and sat on the chair next to her "What's your name?"

"Kuchino Fuyuka, sir. I'm currently a Mizunoto"

He nodded in acknowledgement "How old are you, Fuyuka?"

"12"

He was slightly surprised that she confirmed his guess about her age "How long have you joined the Demon Corps?"

"Ano... For a year, I think?"

It was rare for him to see a child joining the Final Selections and passing it as well. He didn't know why but he was intrigued.

"So you have been slaying demons for a year"

"Hai"

"I was told that the demon that tormented this village was a huge one yet you single-handedly led it outside the village and took care of him." He told her "Good job."

She was flustered from the compliment "Y-You're overestimating me, sir."

"Caw! Caw!"

Tomioka's crow landed on his shoulder while Fuyuka's crow nestled on her head. Her crow cawed before speaking.

"Kuchino Fuyuka. The Master has officially announced that you are now a Mizunoe. You rose a rank after the last mission"

"E-Eh? Really?!"

"Caw! Caw! Of course! Do you think that the Master is lying?!"

"T-That's not what I mean..." she sweat dropped.

"Congratulations, Fuyuka." Tomioka told her after hearing the news.

"A-Ah, thank you, Tomioka-san." She bowed again and thought "I can't really read his expression..."

"Caw!" his crow sounded and flapped his wings "Demon spotted at the southern village! Make haste!"

"I'll be leaving first." He stood up and went to the door before facing her "Rest here and eat your food. Recover your strength before departing."

"Hai. Thank you again and please be careful."

He nodded and walked out.

Fuyuka's crow looked at her after he left.

"That was the Water Hashira, in case you didn't know."

"EH?!"