Chapter Thirty Two

"You're telling me she didn't run away or commit suicide?" I asked Theo the next evening.

"Nope. Mom was a strong person, and she would never do something like that. She cared too much about us to abandon us like that. I mean...I was very young, but I remember how kind and caring she was. She never mistreated the servants the way Devin and Dayana have been doing."

"But the journal indicates she left, Theo!"

"Yes, I know. It's her handwriting, but I don't believe it. I don't know what happened..." He whispered the next words, "But Castle did. He knew stuff that he was hiding from us."

"The journal is strange," I admitted. "It doesn't make sense. If she wanted revenge, why would she decide to leave everything behind, especially her children?"

"Exactly my point."

"Is Chandler?..."

"He's Lorna's son. We're half-siblings."

"I see. So, after your mother disappeared, Lorna took over your house?"

"Yes. Castle wasn't at a legal age to inherit the company; he didn't have that kind of power. After mom left, Lorna moved into the master bedroom that was my mother's... "It was fucking torture...watching this sleazy woman...a thief walking into our home, wearing my mother's things and trying to take her place. It was disgusting and by that time, grandpa had already lost some of his marbles. I was sent to boarding school; and Castle went to college."

I listened to him silently. "He came back a few years later, and good for us, Mom already had paperwork done stating that when Castle was of a certain age, he was to inherit everything. Devin and Dayana had no right over the estate or the money, not even a single piece of the fucking furniture and when the lawyer announced this...you should have seen their faces."

"And since then, Castle has been taking care of everything like he should be. This house is ours. They are nobody, and the only reason they got you married to him is because they wanted to shame him. No offense to you, Millie."

"None taken."

"They thought since Castle was helpless and couldn't remember a thing, they would hire a help with no family background or wealth and get her married to him because they think Castle in his right mind would have never stooped so low as to marry a nanny. You get what I'm saying?"

I nodded. They wanted to embarrass him. A business tycoon getting married to a nobody...yeah, they'd basically tarnished his name.

"We have to get to the bottom of this." Theo said. "Make Castle remember...keep asking him to remember..."

"I can't do that! He gets upset, and he gets these headaches."

"What headaches?"

"If he tries to remember his past, his head hurts, and his body trembles."

"I don't care. He needs to fucking remember before we're slaughtered!"

"Did I hear about slaughtering?" Devin walked into the room with his easy swagger, "you know who gets slaughtered? Pigs...are you a pig, Teddy?"

"I don't talk to stinky assholes."

Devin ignored his brother and turned to me, tossing an envelope on the coffee table. "I realized you and Castle could use a quick getaway, a honeymoon, since you never got a chance before."

"A honeymoon?" I asked.

"Yes. The maids have already packed Castle's stuff. I've instructed them to pack yours as well. You're flying to Paris on a private jet. The car will be here in an hour exactly. Sorry, this might be a little sudden, but Castle was subdued this morning because of his recently frequent episodes. It's not a good sign. I think a change of scenery would do him good ."