Chapter 24

"Can you please just tell me where we're going?" Lex asked as her foot collided with what was almost certainly another tree root.

"No," Rosalie chided. "It'll ruin the surprise."

"Surprises are overrated," Lex huffed with faux annoyance. "I like instant gratification—all the gain, none of the waiting."

"Oh hush," Rosalie laughed. "Surprise builds anticipation. It's exciting, be excited."

"I am excited," Lex replied. "But I think that if you told me what I'm supposed to be excited about, then I can adjust my excitement levels to the appropriate amount."

Rosalie ignored her, and continued to guide her through the forest. If Lex didn't trust her so much, she might think that Rosalie was plotting something against her.

"Okay, you can look now," Rosalie said giddily.

Lex removed her hands from over her eyes, and dropped her jaw in disbelief. "Is this...?"

She gestured frantically at the cabin in front of her, lost for words.

"Ours? Yes," Rosalie grinned. "Happy Birthday, Love."

Lex stared up at it with a huge grin on her face. The cabin was a warm, off-white color that contrasted with the green forest that surrounded it. It was fairly small and rustic, with a few planters full of luscious white and soft pink flowers that partially obscured the large windows behind them. A set of beautiful French doors sat in the middle of the wall, practically inviting them in.

"Can we go inside?" Lex asked excitedly, her face filled with pure joy.

"Of course," Rosalie smiled. Seeing Lex so excited made her undead heart soar.

The interior of the cabin was just as beautiful as the exterior. The walls were painted a deep teal color with a white trim, and there were photographs and paintings hanging up around the room. In the center of the wall, there was a large bed that had a white comforter and more pillows than Lex could count.

"I love it!" she exclaimed as she leapt onto the bed. Rosalie followed suit, landing gracefully next to her.

"I'm so glad you like it," the blonde girl said, her smile widening more than she thought was possible.

"Thank you, Ro," Lex said softly as she pulled Rosalie in for a delicate kiss.

"I'm sorry we couldn't do more of a celebration, Love," she replied, her face full of remorse. With Bella still transforming, and the new baby and all, Lex's birthday had been nearly swept under the rug. Lex didn't mind though—anything was better than her last birthday.

"Don't apologize," Lex said seriously. "As long as you're here, I don't need a fancy celebration—this is more than enough for me."

Rosalie grinned and leaned back into the pillows. Her fingers ran over the soft fabric, and she shut her eyes.

"I wish that I could still sleep," she said as she revelled in the sensation of the plush surface. "This bed is amazing."

"I miss sleeping," Lex agreed. "I miss dreaming."

"I don't remember having dreams," Rosalie replied. thoughtfully "It's been so long."

Lex turned to face Rosalie, who followed suit. "I don't remember any of the dreams that I had, but I can still remember what it felt like to dream... Kinda like what it feels like when I'm with you."

Rosalie chuckled. "You must have had some pretty good dreams, then."

"I prefer you over dreams any day of the week," Lex replied.

"Even if I remembered dreams, I'm sure I'd still be able to say the same," Rosalie said, pulling Lex in for a soft kiss.

Lex trailed her fingers along Rosalie's jawline as they pulled apart, her golden eyes not leaving Rosalie's. "You are so beautiful... I love you so much, Ro."

"I love you too," Rosalie replied. "More than words could ever say."

"So then don't say it," Lex told her, biting her lip cheekily. "Show me."

Rosalie hesitated, as if she were waiting for Lex to take it back or say it was a joke. Seeing no signs of hesitation from her girlfriend, Rosalie suddenly connected their lips feverishly, as if she couldn't get close enough. Her fingers ran along Lex's sides as she began to search for the hem of Lex's shirt.

"Take this off," Rosalie whispered as she tugged at the fabric.

Wordlessly, Lex complied, arching her back to accommodate the movement. Her eyes fluttered as Rosalie's lips found her neck, trailing down and setting her skin ablaze. Lex watched with smoldering eyes as Rosalie pulled away to remove some of the layers that kept their skin from touching. Lex's eyes took in the sight before her—Rosalie was truly a force to be reckoned with. Her pale skin was illuminated by the soft glow of the light, and her eyes sparkled in anticipation.

Lex couldn't help but smile as Rosalie reconnected their lips. It was like time slowed down—the only thing she could process was the feeling of Rosalie's body on hers as they got to know each other on a more intimate level than they ever had before.

As far as first times go, Lex was certain that theirs had been the best that had ever happened between anyone ever. Sure, there had been some awkward fumbles, and some moments where they needed to slow down and figure out what the other wanted. But they had filled the entire experience with so much love, that even the parts that weren't good, were amazing.

They remained in a comfortable silence as Rosalie rested her head on Lex's chest. Lex stroked her fingers through Rosalie's silky blonde hair as they basked in the serenity of the moment. Neither of them was sure how long they had been there, but the sun had begun to set by the time they decided to return to the house.

They took their time walking back, their fingers were intertwined as they chatted about nothing in particular.

"Ten bucks says that Emmett will make an innuendo within five minutes of us walking through the door," Lex said. She was sure that what they had been doing would be obvious—they had been gone for a long time, and the both of them were still giddy from emotion.

Rosalie laughed. "I would take that bet, but I'm almost certain that I would lose."

"It was worth a shot," Lex shrugged playfully as they made their way into the house.

A/N:

Thank you so much for reading!!! I hope you enjoyed this chapter!!!

Just a heads up, this fic is nearly over—there's probably like 8-10 chapters left (give or take, I haven't made up my mind). And I will probably be able to update this more frequently in a couple of weeks once I'm on break. So, seriously, thank you all so much! I know that not everyone reads these author's notes, but to those who do, I just want you to know that I appreciate every single one of the people who read my work.

 I started writing on Wattpad in May, so I really haven't been here long, but the amount of support that I have gotten during my short time here has been totally astounding. I am so freaking appreciative!!! While I love to write, sharing it with other people has only made writing more fun and rewarding, and I look forward to sharing more of my work as I improve and grow. So seriously, thank you all so much. It's really been an amazing experience for me (and I hope that reading has been pleasant for you lol) :)