3

SAMUEL VANDEPUTTE SEEMED FAR more innocent than he was upon first look. With his dark curls and chocolate skin he looked like an angel honestly, but the reputation he had could be believed easily once you looked in his moondrunk eyes, spilling with an impulsiveness that made him crash and burn like supernovas. When he had told her he was going to come to St Joseph to win her back she had thought it a joke, one of his rash decisions he couldn't make true, but somehow he had succeeded in coming here. Even worse, he was in her class.

"How did you get your mother to agree?" she asked him.

"I begged her," he said," told her if auntie thought this place good for you, it would most likely do wonders for me too."

Ella knew he meant her mother with auntie and though she knew it was because their parents were close, it still felt weird now they weren't anymore. She shook the feeling off, instead turning around to continue heading back to her seat. Sam bridged the distance quickly, grabbing her wrist and stopping her before she could, a glimmer of anxiousness in his eyes.

"Wait," he said," can we talk?"

"Not right now, Sam," she frowned," we're literally in the middle of a classroom."

"But -" Sam began.

"You heard her."

Levi was leaning back in his seat, chin tilted up and eyebrow raised at Sam. She knew he was seconds from interfering physically if Sam continued acting up, but appreciated that he hadn't immediately done so. Still, an escalation seemed almost inevitable with the two of them, their personalities clashing like fire and ice. Proving her point Sam flamed up, that intensity of his that both amused and irritated her causing him to pull her closer. Though she knew he meant no harm and that he would never hurt her, that caused Levi to slowly push his chair back, his expression so cold it caused the temperature in the room to drop.

"Stop coming in between," Sam scowled," you did this last time too. You keep on acting like you know Nora better than I do, when I'm the one who has been there for her most of her life."

Levi didn't reply as he walked towards them, only stopping when he was right in front of Sam. Though Sam was far from short, Levi still had several inches over him, intimidating even without having to speak. His gaze dropped to Sam's hand on her wrist and then to her, a silent question in his eyes. She gave him a reassuring smile, before looking back at Sam.

"Let's not make a scene here," she said, voice soft so only the two of them would catch it.

Only then did Sam seem to notice that everyone was staring at them, murmurs having started up as the teacher looked absolutely helpless at the front. He blinked, before letting her go and taking a step back, looking a bit taken aback. Levi held up her wrist before she could stop him, checking her for injuries, but when he didn't find one he turned calmer, turning his glare towards the class instead. Everyone quickly looked away as the both of them walked back to their seats, Sam walking back to the front of the class to introduce himself.

"Anyway," he said, scraping his throat," I'm Samuel Vandeputte. Just call me Sam."

"Seems we have quite the famous transfers."

Everyone's gaze flicked to the person standing in the entrance, her presence alone enough to demand all the attention in the room. Ava Nichols was beautiful in the way a storm was, her fuchsia lips curled up in a smile as sharp as lightning and eyes the color of thunderclouds. Her outfit was completely black, soft on her dark skin, and her dreadlocks were pinned up on her head in a bun, expression that mix of boredom and amusement that she carried all the time.

The teacher didn't seem that surprised by her being late, instead sighing as he gestured at her to come in.

"I would give you detention," he said with a shake of his head," but I know that doesn't work on you."