Over the River, Through the Woods

"Alice, please slow down. You're going too fast!"

Huffing in annoyance, Alice stopped walking. Her cotton lilac dress swayed as she turned swiftly around to face her younger brother. Her hair whipped around her face, getting in her eyes. Her mother had insisted that she kept it long, a ladies hair was her crown after all. Especially hers, golden blond as it was. However, she found it a nuisance; always getting in the way. Shaking her head to move it out of the way, she looked down at her brother; one hand holding a picnic basket, the other a loaf of bread wrapped in a red plaid checkered cloth.

"Oh, for Pete's sake, James! I've told you, that if you wanted to come, you would have to keep up. Don't be such a baby!" Alice scolded as she nearly shouted at her brother in frustration.

"But I wanted to come see Grandma Addie! I never get to go. I only get to hear the stories of your visits! It's not my fault you have long legs. Do you really have to walk so fast?" James whined as he stared up into his sisters pale-green eyes.

Alice rolled her eyes at James's complaining. He was always such a baby. "You never got to go before because you weren't old enough. Mother finally lets you come under the condition you listen to me! Now, I say stop whining and keep up! We are already losing daylight. I want to be back before dark." She turned around, walking away.

James quieted and followed behind her, watched as she strode steadily down the dirt road. Every now and then a loose pebble would scatter along, kicked by his brown leather boot as he eyed the bees flying from flower to flower, that ran alongside the winding path.

The sun beamed merrily down on them, tinting their skin with color. Their cheeks were becoming a rosy red. Bored, James glanced upwards at the white fluffy clouds dotting the sky. One, much to his delight, looked like a ship at full mast sailing the endless ocean blue. The vibrant green grass moved with the breeze that blew in from the west; refreshing, and to James little mind, freeing. This was his first grand adventure from home. He took everything with bright eyes, soaking in all the sights.

He had always been stuck to the confines of their home as their mother worried so. She was afraid her little James would get lost. Or worse: come across a goblin, a troll, a witch. Some malice being who would be all too happy to happen upon a sweet, darling little boy. They were known to feed off the young and innocent. Only the foolish ignored such warnings from folklore that had been passed down from mothers to children, and she was no fool. No, she kept her children safe; kept them close to home where she could keep an eye on them.

No one knew why Grandma Addie lived in a little cottage, alone. Deep in the middle of the woods. She was just peculiar that way. She preferred the quiet and serenity it provided. She was never one to be an old bitty gossiping over some such silly nonsense. Nor did she fancy going to church. She claimed it was for the wicked and sinners: those who seek forgiveness for their sins. Or for the ones who wanted more gossip to spread about the town. Still, the people adored her and wished to visit, making sure she was taken care of.

James got wrapped up with the wild life, watching it all like a newborn babe. Birds hopped from branch to branch in the trees. Butterflies took flight, spreading their mesmerizing wings, only to alight on another flower. Humming birds darted in and out of sight. He heeded little attention to where his feet were going as he heard a woodpecker in the distance; the distinct sound reverberated through the woods. So caught up, he bumped into Alice.

"James, pay attention will you!" Alice yelled after regaining her balance.

"Sorry, Alice." James muttered meekly, smiling sheepishly up at his big sister. His dimples were on full display.

Shaking her head at her brother antics, she could not stay mad at him for very long. He was just too cute with his sandy brown hair and bright blue eyes. His dimples only added to it.