Fool's Gold

My name was Viola Rosemarie Cloverfield. Some might say it fit me to a tee, as I liked to spend the majority of my days out in the field behind my father's cottage. It was a wee little dwelling, nestled away on the Irish moors. The light blue shutters were rarely closed, filling the place with light all day long. Green creeping vines grew up the sides of the white stone walls. As it was just my father and I, we didn't need much space. We were simple folk, and lived off the land. The house had little furniture, our cupboards all but bare.

My father worked long days out in the field, or tending the sheep. I didn't mind too much though, as it gave me time to explore the world around me. I'd wander for hours along the moors, or through the forest beyond. Always, I kept my eyes open for the small folk, but wouldn't you know it, I never did spot any. They tended to be rather fickle, and if you were wise you'd stay in their good graces. That said, I liked to leave them trinkets, and dribbles of sugary treats. If they were happy they'd leave you be, rather than cause all kinds of mischief, such as dragging clean linen through the muck, or letting your hens out of their coops.

I loved spending time amongst the wildflowers. I'd weave them into a crown, and wear it upon my head, pretending I was the long lost fairy princess, found at last. There would be a festival held in my name. I danced around with the wind whipping at my skirts, to the tune played by the little folk that I could hear clear as day in my head. The grass swayed with me as if it was in on the secret. It seemed so magical to me. Everything about my world was alive. The grass so lush and vivid, the flowers the deepest of hues.

Mum warned me, over and over again, to beware the fae, the nymphs, and the dwarves. To watch out for the trolls, the goblins, and the ghouls. Whenever you needed to cross a troll's bridge, be sure to say the rhyme on time, lest it be your life on the line. Be sure to shut your window at night, so the Goblin King won't spirit you away to his labyrinth of nightmares. Stay away from the graveyard at night, for that's the ghouls' domain. If the worst ever happened, sprinkle salt to keep the monsters at bay. But most importantly of all, don't ever search for the leprechaun's gold.

It was five years since I last saw her. She'd gone searching in the forest for berries. Some say she stumbled upon a fairy ring, and got caught up in the festivities. If she'd eaten the food and drank what they offered, she'd be stuck in the fairy realm for all eternity. Others claimed she'd had enough of her hard life, and had abandoned her husband and child. And then there were those who said a nymph had lured her away, captivated by her beauty. You can take your pick, and believe what you will. The facts were still a mystery.

Twirling around and around, my long brown hair whipping at my face, I didn't see the root jutting from the ground, and it caused me to tumble. I glanced around to see if anyone had noticed my wee mishap. I caught movement out of the corner of my eye. As I allowed my eyes to focus, I saw a wee little man, no taller than my waist. He didn't seem to have noticed me. His clothes were all green, and camouflaged him well, but that red bushy beard gave him away.

I knew full well that my father had never had much to his name, and I allowed myself to entertain the thought that a few coins of leprechaun's gold would be a rather nice gift for him. As the little man was about to leave, I made a snap decision, paying no heed to all my ma's warnings. I followed the leprechaun, as quietly as I could.

Excitement filled me, but I was nervous too. I'd never heard of anyone who'd actually seen a leprechaun, yet there was one right before my very eyes. I'd never been quite so adventurous. To actually see a fabled mythical creature was one thing, but to follow him was another altogether. What a story I'd have to tell later on, especially when my father found out how I'd got the coins! He'd be thrilled with the idea of not having to work so hard, he was getting on a bit after all. Not to mention the fact he'd be proud of me too, for having outsmarted a leprechaun!

I ducked behind trees, rocks, and shrubberies. With every snapping twig and skidding pebble I held my breath, hoping that he wouldn't look back. It seemed my luck was in, as he didn't appear to notice. Every now and again though, he'd glance around. My heart hammered in my chest every time he did, fearing I'd get caught. I had to pull my skirts in close every time I hid behind a tree. After each glance, however, he continued on his merry way. I pursued him over the babbling brook, jumping from stone to stone, making sure not to get my black laced boots wet as I went.

I trekked through the woods for what felt like hours, and was rather proud of myself. I started to take in more of my surroundings, as by that time I wasn't so afraid of getting caught. So deep into the forest the trees started to look different. Tall, dark, menacing, with branches like arms that reached out. The silent guardians of the forest. Even the animals were different. Bleak of color, their eyes black and beady, scavenging the forest floor in search of their next meal.

As it appeared the leprechaun still hadn't noticed me, I continued to survey the new world around me. I was utterly lost, having followed the little man and all his twists and turns. I was pretty sure we'd gone around in circles, and looped more than once. I was beginning to grow weary and afraid, thinking I'd be better off if I turned around and went back home. My Irish stubbornness, however, was not about to let me back down. I'd come too far for that.

"Hey there, lass, what d'ye think ye're doin', followin' me?" the leprechaun spoke as he appeared right in front of me, catching me off guard. It took a moment before my rapidly beating heart slowed down enough for me to respond.

"I...I wasn't following you. I got lost and thought you could help me," I replied, knowing that I was being unwise by lying.

"Aye, now. Is that so?" Then why did ye start followin' me when ye were playin' outside o' your house?" he asked, his eyes golden in the sunlight.

"I...I was curious, is all." I was stuck on what to say. I thought I was doing a good job, sneaking and hiding, and was more than a little disappointed that I wasn't quite as stealthy as I thought.

"Ye weren't by chance after ma' gold now, were you, lass?" As he spoke, he hopped up into a branch beside me, and looked at me directly. His face was kind, if slightly accusing, and his eyes were smiling. "Ye can see for yerself, there be no rainbow, t'be had. So what makes ye think I'll be takin' ye to me gold? But ye be in luck, lass, for I be feelin' a mite generous. I will take ye to me pot o' gold. Jus' follow me."

I nodded my head in consent, and followed him as he led me away. I was not about to stay in this creepy place myself, especially as I'd no idea how to get back.

They don't seem half as bad as Mum made out, I've no idea why she warned me against leprechauns, I thought.

As we went deeper and deeper into the woods, the air felt cooler against my skin. Bird calls echoed through the trees, the only signs of life until finally, we came upon a clearing. Right there in the middle, was the leprechaun's pot. It sat alone upon the dead ground, and was a lot bigger than I'd imagined it would be. It was about as tall as I, and as black as the darkest of nights.

"Me pot o' gold is what ye seek. Go on, lass, take a peek. Here, I'll give ye a lift, as it's quite deep," the leprechaun sang, as he helped me into the pot.

I was quite wary of getting into it, as I'd not thought it'd be so easy, but I didn't go all that ways for nothing. With the leprechaun giving me a boost, I made my way into the pot, and tumbled to the bottom as I fell over the lip. I managed to get to my feet and snatched up the few gold coins that littered the base. I scrambled over to the side, placed my hands upon the rim, and looked out at the leprechaun.

"Though I'm afraid what ye sought was fool's gold. Don't worry none, I'm about to make a tasty treat!" he said as he looked up to me. It was then I noticed his teeth were sharpened to points, his eyes glinted red with malice, and his face contorted with wrinkles.