vi.

Margaret went to follow after her friends but stumbled over a loose floorboard and dropped all of her things on the floor

Margaret went to follow after her friends but stumbled over a loose floorboard and dropped all of her things on the floor. She ran her fingers through her curls and rushed to pick up everything before a stampede trampled her work. Suddenly she saw a hand reach down to pick up some of her books and sighed in relief.

"Thanks for that,"she looked up and saw a boy smirking down at her while holding the copy of Anna Karenina she had been planning to read more of during dinner.

"You planning to read this entire thing?"he flipped through the pages of the thick novel as if it would somehow deter her, "It probably weighs more than you do."

The blonde rolled her eyes and took the book from him, "Yes, I do plan to finish it." She then stepped back and walked around him toward her room.

"I'm Charlie,"he said smoothly, reaching out to take her hand so he could place a gentle kiss upon her knuckles. She couldn't help but blush at the sudden act of affection, having never before felt the lips of a strange boy on her hand. But she decided from the warmth that bloomed on her skin that she wasn't revolted by it.

She gave him a half-smile, "Margaret."

"Well, I must prepare for dinner,"he gave a low bow at the waist, his smirk never ceasing, "So I bid thee farewell, my lady." Maggie curtsied as best she could and walked away, leaving the boy staring back at her in absolute amazement.

XXXXXXXXXXXX

The dining hall was massive and intimidating. Stoic boys in white walked around carrying plates of food to set at the tables. A large mural covered the wall containing the exit; boys with stars in their eyes were on the far left. They gathered around a feminine figure, books and flags in hand. To the right was a group of men focused intently on the papers spread on the table, the ever-growing shadow of the church nearly covering them.

This was what this school did to those boys. It stripped them of identity, individuality, and dreams and put them in the finely pressed suit of conformity, and gave them a serious case of chronic overachiever that would haunt them forever.

Diana asked as the trio walked, "So, who exactly are we sitting with?"

"Di!"everyone turned to see Braxton sitting with his own friends, waiting expectantly for his twin to sit with him. Diana stared at him calmly before turning and walking away. Her hand shook slightly as she reached out to hold Allison's, receiving a squeeze of reassurance.

"Gerard!"Allison waved as she gestured for Margaret and Diana to follow after her. She had spotted the tall boy, and his friends seated at a table and quickly walked over to grab seats on the benches.

"Hey, Allison,"Gerard smiled fondly at her, wiggling his brows at Knox as Ally sat down beside him, "Glad you could make it." He gestured to the table. "Everyone, this is Allison and her friends Margaret and Diana. Girls, this is Todd, Neil, Steven- but we just call him Meeks- Knox, Charlie, and Cameron."