Chapter 3: Matchmaking

Finn's POV

After that little ice cream shop trip that Oliver invited me to. I stayed up that night to think about whether or not I should just ghost him or help him. I didn't owe him anything, quite frankly, he has never done anything for me, so why should I? But whenever I'd think about blocking his number, I'd remember his excitement back at the shop, that sheer happiness. So I just decided to help him all together. But I didn't... expect him to start the next day.

"What are you doing here?" Heather asked.

Oliver was eating with us at lunch. He just came up and sat beside me and started eating like there wasn't anything wrong with it.

"I'm eating here. I can't do that now?" Oliver asked with an amused smirk.

Heather looked at Oliver, all confused. "Doing it out of nowhere? If you're just gonna mess with Finn, I swear-"

"No! I would never!" Oliver defended himself before leaning in close, dropping his voice into a low, raspy whisper. "Listen, my friends have done so much questionable things. I don't agree with them and it's up to you if you believe me or not but I'm not like any of them."

Heather scoffed and this was one of the few times I've seen her be irritated. "So don't hang out with them, simple."

"It's not that simple. It's... hard to explain but trust me, I really don't agree with what they've done to you two." 

Heather looked at me, questioning if I was witnessing what she was seeing before sighing. "I'm gonna be right back." She said before standing up and approaching the lunch line.

"Finn, you think she's mad at me?" He asked.

I laughed bitterly. "Yeah, this is one of the rare times I've seen her annoyed." 

"Damn." He hissed quietly to himself, after a few seconds, he then turned to me again. "Finn. What does Heather like and not like?" 

I snickered. "Well, I know now she definitely doesn't like you." I joked which caused Oliver to chuckle and push me playfully. "Fine, fine. Heather likes really simple things and she's a big romantic. You don't need to compliment her or flirt with her like what you're used to doing, just have a genuine conversation with her where you're present. And don't lie about things just to impress her, she will know and she won't like it. She also doesn't like when people get violent or aggressive for no reason and, well, people who pick on me."

He nodded and he was about to speak when Heather came back. She eyed Oliver warily as she sat back down.

"Alright. I just want a peaceful lunch, you two." I joked. Oliver just laughed while Heather shook her head.

. . .

After the bell rang signaling the end of the last period, I went to the bathroom for a quick bathroom break. As I was washing my hand, I looked up at the mirror and at my reflection. Just as I finished, I was shoved back roughly which caused me to stumble and hit my back on the corner of the sink, making me wince in pain.

"What the hell." I muttered in pain and once I was able, I looked at the person who caused me to be in this position. 

Oh, what a surprise, it was Chad.

"What the hell, indeed. What did you do to Oliver? Did you put a love spell on him or something? You probably did, huh? I knew you were gay."

"What are you talking about-"

"Don't play dumb with me!" I flinched harder than I should when he shouted at my face. "Why else would Oliver go up to you and your loser friend?"

I was breathing hard, I was scared to say anything in fear of being beaten up by him. I couldn't move.