Chapter 19: The Inside Scoop

Finn's POV

It had been a couple days ever since Oliver let the school know that we liked each other. And the response to it have been split in two. Some of the guys that were in the football team laid off of me and left me alone while the others actually supported me and would usually greet me whenever I'd pass by them. Some girls have been giving me dirty looks whenever I'd walk down the hall but most of them were supportive. Bella hasn't bothered me in the past few days which worried me more than it made me relieved. It just meant she had more shit up her sleeves and so that's why I'm overly cautious everywhere I go. 

But besides that. Things have gone great. Classes were much easier now since the end of the school year was nearing. Heather and I have been okay, we've gone back to how we once were and that was enough. Jason have been hanging out with us more and Oliver and I have been casual. I still didn't know what to label us, and Oliver hasn't brought it up. He would just occasionally hug me in public, pull me into him, kiss me on the head or on the cheek.

Oliver was taking me on a date that particular Friday night, and I was shaking my ass off. I have never been on a date. What do I wear? How should I look? Should I bring anything? 

I was pacing back and forth in front of my closet when a knock interrupted my little moment. I opened it and was met with a familiar face.

"Hi, mom." I greeted with an awkward smile.

"What are you doing? I heard thuds. You also look like you're in a panic attack. Do you need help?" 

I ran my hand through my hair. "Well... I'm going on a date with a guy." 

Her eyes widened before a smile appeared on her face. "Wow. My son is all grown up now. Going on dates. Well, do you need any help?"

"Kind of. I don't know what to wear. And he's coming to pick me up in an hour yet I'm still a mess. Should I just cancel?"

My mom laughed and gave me a one armed hug as her other hand riffled through the clothes that I had.

"Did he tell you where you two are going?" 

"No, he said it was a surprise."

She nodded in understanding before she pointed at a simple sky blue sweatshirt which I didn't even know existed.

"A sweatshirt? Are you sure?"

"Yes, it's appropriate for anything in my opinion." She said.

I took it out and I noticed that it actually had a little rainbow arch on the place where a breast pocket is supposed to go. It looked familiar and so I dug my brain for any kind of memory of where I got it when it hit me. I bought the sweatshirt with my mom back when I was just fourteen. I liked the sweatshirt so much and at the time, there weren't any available size for me so my mom just bought me the adult size and we said we'd wait till I was big enough to wear it.

"Oh my God, mom. This was that sweatshirt we bought when I was fourteen."

"See, it was meant to be chosen."

I looked at the sweatshirt again with adoring eyes before looking at my mom just to see her staring at me with a proud smile.

"What?" I asked through a smile.

"Nothing. I'm being too emotional again. You're growing up so fast. In just a year, you'd be an adult and you're eventually gonna move out-"

"Mom. That's still a year, at least I'm still here." I reassured and pat her back but instead, she just pulled me into an embrace.