Chapter 9: Conflicted

Finn's POV

It has been a few days after the Homecoming dance and after... Oliver and I kissed. I was still in a state of shock, every thought of mine, he was always in my mind. It was still so surreal that that happened because it wouldn't have happened if Oliver didn't like me back, and I can't believe he does. He said he liked Heather, he literally asked my help with her so how come he liked me? It felt wrong to think about it since Heather had to see Oliver kiss Bella. What would she think if she found out her best friend who she's been with through hell kissed her crush? It made me shudder just thinking about it.

Because of how engrossed I was in my thoughts, I bumped into someone and lo and behold, the blond that has been on my mind was in front of me.

"Uh... Hi." I greeted awkwardly and instead of a usual smirk he had on his face, he had his brows furrowed.

"You okay?" He asked, worry evident on his voice as he touched my elbow gently.

I subtly removed his hand from my elbow. "I shouldn't be the one you're asking that." I said, pointedly making my voice sound cold and distant as I avoided eye contact.

"Sorry..." He trailed off and he seemed like he was gonna say more but I couldn't handle being near him, all I could think about was... kissing him again.

I walked away and into my locker to get my things. As I was peacefully organizing the stuff I had, I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around and was surprised to see Heather.

"Hey Finn." She greeted and unexpectedly smiled, and it didn't look fake or forced.

"Hey. I thought you weren't gonna come today." 

She sighed, leaning on the locker beside mine. "Honestly, me too. But hey, what was the point of staying home, I'm just gonna keep my mind off for today and support you."

I stopped midway as I was stuffing my books into my bag. "S-Support me?" 

I should've known she was gonna find out. I should've never kissed Oliver after he hurt Heather, and now Heather found out, she's gonna think differently of me and probably about our friendship right then and there.

"Yeah, you might get picked on again. I can't ever leave you." She said with a bright smile which seemed to have brought back the warmth in the atmosphere.

Despite that, I felt even more horrible. Heather would always be by my side no matter what but what did I do? Betray her. Kiss and have feelings on the guy she liked. She's always wanted a prince charming and now that she's liking on someone for the first time, I'm getting in the way. I wanted to beat myself up for that.

"You know you don't need to do that." I said with a shy smile as I finally closed my locker, heaving my bag onto my shoulders.

"Finn, you saved me from embarrassment in that party. You were there for me at Homecoming. That's the least I could do for you. Now let's go before we're late." 

Before I could even sound out a rebuttal, she had pulled me by my sleeve. The two of us walked down the hall and onto our own classes. 

. . .

Lunch came and for the first time in weeks, it was just Heather and I. Jason and Oliver were nowhere to be seen. 

I could tell Heather was not used to just us being two because for the last few weeks, Oliver and sometimes Jason would sit with us and would always initiate a conversation. 

"So... How have you been doing?" I asked as an attempt to break the awkward silence trying to wedge itself between us.

Heather looked up, her eyebrows raised before shaking her head. "I've been fine. I've been investing most of my time on painting."