13. In Every Way

"Want more coffee?" I ask Emma and hand her another full mug.

   We're sitting on the small balcony of my apartment and having breakfast. It's on the third floor, overlooking one of the busiest, central shopping streets of the town. I love it. It's tucked in the enormous crown of a lime tree, always shady and cool. We can look at the people, walking on the street but they don't see us. It's noisy but that doesn't bother me. Rather, it makes me feel in the center of life again.

   It's Saturday and we have no school. The first week is over and I can bravely say that I'm getting used to my new environment.

   Em no longer appeared at lectures after our lunch on Tuesday but Jamie or Lucky were always with us. I'm pretty sure that he made them come to keep an eye on me. 

   Jamie said that Em was too busy with the band, rehearsing and preparing for the new season which would start in October. I admit, I was disappointed not to see him for three days but, perhaps, it's better this way. I get too excited when he's around and it's not good for me. It's clear that I shouldn't hope for anything with him. I'm far out of his league. He's the proclaimed Prince of the University after all, and I'm... I don't even know what I am. Most likely, trouble for anyone who decides to approach me.

   I've started communicating with many people and feeling more and more comfortable among my fellow students but there will always be some distance. Still, coming here turned out to be a good idea.

   The conversation goes in the direction of the latest events and Em, as usual.

   "He wants you," Emma declares, pointing at me with a half-eaten croissant.

   "No, he doesn't," I roll my eyes. "He's just kind to me because I'm totally pathetic every time he's around. Probably pities me. You don't even know for sure if he's into boys."

   "Yes, I know for sure and yes, he does want you bad. I heard what he told you at the restaurant. I wouldn't want to eat someone out of pity. Clearly, you understand that he didn't mean to use you for food." She looks me straight in the eyes and pronounces soundlessly, forming carefully every word with her lips, "He wants to fuck you."

   "Emma!" I choke on my coffee so badly that tears spring in my eyes. The girl has no restraints.

   "Don't be so scandalized, sweetie," she grins. "Especially, when you practically told him 'Ok, I'm in. I'll even prepare some garnish'. Because you did it!" She points at me with a piece of cucumber this time and announces proudly, "You want him too."

   "I don't! And it's not polite to nose into other people's conversations," I frown.

   She raises her brows at me, shaking her head.

   "Ok," I give up, "I kind of do. But it means nothing. It's not that I'm going to do anything about it. Many people want him and nothing happens, at least with most of them, right?"

   "Yeah, but for two years, I've never seen him coming to school just to take someone to lunch, not to mention, drooling over them the entire time," she points out.

   "He didn't..." I'm ready to argue but my phone dings, indicating that a text message is received.

   "Did you give him your number?" Emma screams in excitement and starts bouncing on her chair.

   "Even if I did, it's not him. Stop being such a nuisance," I scold her, taking my phone. "It's probably mom and dad." 

   I look at the screen and immediately feel the tingle in my stomach.

   Em: "Hey, Sunshine! Are you already up?"

   "It's h-i-i-i-m! It's him! It's him!" Emma keeps screaming, gazing at my blushing face. "What does he want? Is he going to take you on a date? Give me the phone!"

   She tries to grab the phone from my hand but I lift it up, too high for her to reach, although she's putting up her best effort. It's good that I'm much taller than her.

   "I'll tell you what he says if you behave," I state firmly and she calms down a little, going back to her breakfast but without taking her eyes off of me.

   Me: "Hi! Yes, I'm having breakfast with Emma."

   Em: "I'm really getting jealous of that girl."

   Me: "Don't be. She's my best friend. I don't like girls in that way."

   Oh, No!

   I've pressed the 'send' button before I could even comprehend what I've written. What a fool! What is he going to think of me now? It looks as if I'm hitting on him. I slap my forehead. 

   Emma immediately glues herself to my back, trying to read the message over my shoulder.

   "What? Did he say something kinky? Does he... Oh, my God! Did you write this?" she squeaks. "You could tell him directly that you like him as well." She starts clapping her hands enthusiastically, "I can't wait to see what he's going to answer."

   Yeah, me either. 

   The response, however, is not coming. I get a little anxious. Maybe, he really wants us to be friends and I've just messed up.

   'Ding' The screen flushes with another incoming message.

   I'm a little hesitant to look what it is but Emma grabs my hand to adjust the phone and reads it aloud.

   Em: "That's good since I'm definitely not a girl. And I want you to like me in every way."

   She yells the last words so loud that my ear aches. Then starts shaking me by the shoulders, "What are you going to answer to that?" 

   "Stop it!" I'm trying to get out of her grip. "You'll kill me before I can think of an answer."

   My brain completely refuses to cooperate and I just stare at the phone.

___________________________________

A/N

Hello everyone who reached the end of Chapter 13.

Things are starting to move.

Where do you think will this texting go?

Thank you so much for reading and voting! ❤

Share your thoughts, ask questions and criticize if you feel like.

See you in the next chapter.

Don't forget to vote, if you enjoyed the story.

Love: Anny