3. Can Mars and Earth meet? (Casey)

Avery is leaning over my shoulder, peaking at the screen of my phone. "What were you going to play?"

   "Minecraft," I answer, frowning a little. I'm not used ot be at such close distance with guys, especially hot, smug ones like him. His chest, rubbing on my back, is definitely doing something to me. I start feeling flushed and uneasy. He's clearly quite chiseled and I sense every muscle through the thin fabric of our shirts.

   "Can we play together?" He crawls even closer.

   I capture a mild fragrance of cinnamon and musk and, for some reason, that spreads heat on my face. He's so close. Too close. The tips of my ears will catch fire any second. I gulp heavily.

   "Y... Yeah, s... sure," I mutter, dazzled by a silky soft lock of his hair, touching my ear.

   What's the matter with me? The boy's just friendly. It's not that he's going to jump me or something. What is this sudden fluttering in my stomach? I'm really pathetic. I quickly brace myself and start the game.

   "Have you played before? Do you want me to explain how it works?" I ask with a little shaky voice.

   "No, I haven't. Show me, please," he answers, gluing himself to my right side.

   Too close! Too close! My hands are slightly trembling. A trickle of sweat runs down my neck.

   Pull yourself together, idiot!

   I somehow manage to start showing him the game. He seems to be quite interested. That saves me from my dizzy state. I always control myself better when I'm occupied with something that requires attention.

   In few minutes we're playing, chatting and laughing together. I still feel a little restless by his closeness, but the initial tension is gone and we're actually having fun.

   Avery turns out to be a kind and agreeable guy and obviously has some ability to predispose me to communicate freely. I'm usually totally numb with new people and barely utter a word. But I can't recognize myself after half an hour with him.

   I can't believe that I'm the boy who's laughing his head off at his jokes and leaning on him every time when we make a move in the game.

   Maybe, it's the darkness. We haven't switched the lights on and the warm twilight makes me feel calm and protected. It also creates some sweet intimacy, in which I'm immersed and enjoy so much.

   I almost forgot that Ave was the smug, popular boy that every girl had a crush on, and to whom I'd rather faint than say something during the breaks between lectures. I'm no more the shy nerd, dragged around by a bunch of crazy girls, who's too insecure to communicate to anyone but them, as annoying as they are.

   It's just me and him. Two boys, sitting in the middle of an enormous bed, among a pile of blankets, having fun. It's so good.

   I look at his smiling face and can't help but wonder if he would behave the same way if he knew that I was gay. Probably not. He'd surely be more guarded and wouldn't touch me so often. I'm not saying he'd be mean. He's too nice for that. But there's always this, almost undetectable dodge when a male friend finds it out. Maybe this is why I hang out with the girls. I can't bare it. I don't want to feel rejected. Never again.

   "Hey, don't get distracted," Avery giggles when I don't pay attention and leave him play on his own.

   He ruffles my hair and keeps his fingers a little longer in the locks just above my ear. His eyes linger on mine, gleaming in the darkness, reflecting the screen light. Or, maybe, I'm just imagining it.

   If he only knew, how many times I've been watching him from a distance. I never thought about my infatuation as a crush. I couldn't afford it. I was perfectly aware that, whatever that was, it could never evolve. I didn't think that I'd ever even speak to him, let alone spend time with him.

   He was Mars and I was Earth. Our orbits could never cross.

   But still, once in a million years, nature plays this little trick and the impossible happens. In a warm, dark universe, two distant planets approach each other and touch. The only thing that can be done then, is to savor this moment and not forget it for as long as you can.

   Avery does something really stupid in the game and distracts me from my thoughts. I grab his fingers and pull them away from the screen, trying to fix the mess.

   He laughs his head off and squeezes my hand.

   "You did it on purpose," I glare at him.

   "No, I didn't," he protests, wrapping his arm round my waist, and rests his chin on my shoulder.

   I feel all the heat of the Martian sands embrace my body.

___________________________________

A/N

Hello everyone at the end of Chapter 3.

Thank you so much for reading and supporting! ❤

Avery is quite touchy.

Do you think he does it on purpose? 🙄

I really want to know if you liked the story so far.

Share your thoughts, befree to express yourself, and criticize if you feel it's necessary.

And don't forget to vote if you enjoyed the story.

Love: Anny