46. Burying the Hatchet (Casey)

"Casey, go!" Smiley is pushing me towards the elevator while I'm stubbornly trying to finish testing the code I have altered to improve the speed of the orders transmission.

   "Wait! It says thirty more seconds to finish the operation," I squeak, squirming to avoid his hand.

   "You said the same half an hour ago. Avery is waiting in the lobby. You'll be late for lectures," my boss doesn't give up. "I shouldn't have given you the task, considering that you're still in training, but you're just sooo good. I didn't know that you're also obsessed, though..."

   "Here you go!" I yell excitedly. "See! Three milliseconds less than the previous time. I'm sure I can make it five." 

   "I'm sure Avery will let us both have it," Smiley huffs. "You'll test it again on Monday."

  "Fine!" I sigh, but then a brilliant idea makes me grin from ear to ear. "I'm staying with Ave tonight. I can test it online from home tomorrow. Just send me the codes and the data from the last session. His computer is powerful enough to launch a spaceship."

   I grab my things and rush to the exit. I don't want to make Ave wait any longer. He already pouts that I work too much.

   "Saturday is for relaxation, you know," Smiley shouts after me. "Go to the beach, watch a movie, have sex..."

   I roll my eyes, "Just send it! I'll check it on the phone today and will test it tomorrow."

   "You got it," he responds, absentmindedly tapping on the keyboard with his eyes pinned on Maya who's passing nearby, shyly smiling at him. I smirk. Maybe, I should ask Avery to go on a double date. These two obviously like each other, but definitely need a little push.

   The moment I dash into the elevator I collide head-on with Ebony, plastering my whole body from top to bottom on hers.

   "Oh my God!" I gasp, feeling the red tornado raging on my face, devastating everything in it's way. "I'm so sorry! I wasn't looking where..."

   "Don't worry, honey," she sweetly chirps, wrapping an arm around my waist with no intention to leave the cabin. "I was actually coming to see you. Are you done for today? Oh, I'm so happy I didn't miss you. It was a matter of seconds I guess." 

   Her flirtatious giggle gives me chills. I'm fidgeting nervously in my place, terrified at the idea to be in this narrow space with her for more than a minute, but nothing can be done. She grins slyly and presses the first floor button. Lord have mercy! Fifteen floors to freedom. I don't think I'll survive. I retreat in the farthest corner like a mouse in its hole, peeking suspiciously at her.

   "Honey, I can understand why you don't like me. I wasn't very nice last time," she starts, taking a step towards me. I only blink and stay quiet. Why the hell does she need these long nails. They are pretty, but also downright scary. I wonder how she's able to type with them at all. They're purple this time and twice more frightening than before. Her heels can no doubt be used as a weapon. I hope she doesn't decide to stab me with one of them to save her inheritance. 

   "It's ok," I mutter. "I apologize for ruining your shirt. It wasn't on purpose."

   "Oh, no problem, sweetheart," Ebony waves her hand dismissively, taking another step in my direction. I have nowhere to go. I glance at the blinking screen only to find out in desperation that we are on the tenth floor. Nine more to go. 

   I take a deep breath and smile bravely, "It was very nice of you to invite me to lunch."

   "Sure! It is entirely my pleasure!" She puts her hand om my shoulder. Fifth floor. Her manicure is too close to my face for me to be comfortable. I start praying. She continues sweetly, "I think it's time to bury the hatchet. What do you think?"

   "Yes," I squeak in an unnaturally high-pitched voice. I'm ashamed of myself. Chicken! "That would be nice."

   "I have nothing against you," Ebony squeezes my shoulder. "You seem such a good boy. Forgive me if I was overprotective of Avery. He is a little reckless, you know, when it comes to feelings. There were too many occasions of people taking advantage of him. I see my mistake now. You're not like the others. He seems to love you. It's actually obvious. I'm happy when he's happy, believe it or not." She squints at me and adds, "Mom and dad will be so happy to meet you. When is my brother planning to introduce you to the family?"

   "I... I... don't... we haven't..." I'm sweating profusely, unable to come up with an answer. 

   "Well, you should ask him to do it," she clicks her tongue. "How unthoughtful of him! Mom was so disappointed when he didn't show up at her birthday party. He'll listen to you. Try to influence him to be more attentive to his family." 

   The indicator finally dings, showing that we've reached the first floor. Ebony immediately steps back. I pop out and dash to Avery who's chatting with the receptionist Elena, leaning on her desk.

   "It was nice talking to you," Ebony says cheerfully behind me. "See you tomorrow, sweetheart. I'll message you the place. It will be so much fun! I can't wait! We'll become such good friends."

   Tomorrow? Oh my God! Yes, tomorrow is Saturday. I'm not so thrilled about the weekend anymore. 

   "Hey, Bunny, what took you so lon...," Ave's eyes widen. "Wow, you're scarlet and panting. I'd get suspicious, if I didn't know you so well. What happened? Who was in the elevator with you?"

   "Ebony," I release the breath I've been holding the entire time. "I think she was trying to... to... Oh God! Would it sound crazy if I say that she's scarier when trying to be friendly than when she's hostile?"

   "No, I perfectly understand what you mean," Avery nods, pulling me for a hug. "My poor, cute bunny! Did the bad woman scare my sweet baby?"

   He starts rubbing my back soothingly. I press into him and burry my nose in his hair like a child, comforted by his mother because of a bruised knee. I'm pathetic. 

   "You don't have to go to that lunch," Ave mumbles. "I'll call her to cancel."

   "No," I retort in a new surge of courage. "I can handle it. She's trying to melt the ice. I can at least cooperate. By the way, when do you plan to introduce me to your parents?"

   "Oh Dear!" Ave gasps.

___________________________________

A/N

Hello everyone at the end of Chapter 46!

Thank you so much for reading and supporting!

What do you think about this friendly chat? 😀

Do you think Ebony planted the idea of the family meeting on purpose?

What do you expect mom and dad to be like?

Share your thoughts, be free to express yourself and criticize, if you feel it's necessary.

And don't forget to vote if you enjoyed the story.

See you in next chapter.

Love: Anny