3.

"Yes, ma'am." Isaiah saluted and Grace rolled her eyes.

"Shut up, Isaiah. What did I tell you about calling me that?" She gave him a death glare but smiled as he snickered and ran off into the dining room.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know we were gonna be gone that long. I didn't see the time, Grace. Really." I persisted and she sighed, nodding her head.

"Okay, I believe you. Now, let's go." She said and I followed her into the dining room. I could feel his eyes follow me as I sat down next to Isaiah, across from him. Why did Grace have to be such a welcoming person?

"So, Ryleigh, this is Mr. Mendoza, the new teacher." Grace introduced and I nodded. She glared at me and kicked me lightly under the table. I winced but then quickly made up a fake smile.

"Ryleigh." I said and he nodded, his eyes not leaving mine. I shifted uncomfortably in my seat as he stared across the table at me. I could seriously drown in his eyes. His sleeves were rolled up, revealing the arm length tattoo he had on one side. He was intoxicatingly attractive and he had to know it. That's why he was acting strange around me.

For some reason, he acted as if I was the only one there with him. He looked at nobody else. He almost didn't pay attention to anybody else. As if nobody else was there.

"Mendoza. Remington Mendoza." And his voice... it pained me. It actually pained me how utterly seductive and husky it sounded.

And the way he smelled. I don't know why he smelled so strong or why I could smell him across a room, but I didn't mind. Evergreens and a hint of mint. Sounds like a bad combo, but it dizzied me with how lost I got in it.

The thought of not being able to control myself, my thoughts, feelings, and body around him infuriated me. I was so good at holding myself together and hiding things now, and he just unraveled me so easily, leaving me a mess and stuttering idiot.

I wasn't the slightest bit afraid of him, and I had no idea why either. Just being in the same room, I felt like I didn't have to look over my shoulder. I didn't have to worry. I didn't even know who he was, and he still drew me in.

"So you were in California before? Why did you move?" Grace asked, looking at him. She figured since she's the college and career advisor at our school, she had to be the welcoming committee for all new teachers.

Why had she invited him here? Why did he come? He turned to her with a smile and a shrug.

"Guess I just hadn't found what I was looking for yet." Something about the way he said it sent a shiver down my spine. Why did I feel like there was so much more meaning behind his words then he was letting on?

"Well, I hope you find what you're looking for." Grace said and he turned to me with a devilish smirk and a mischievous glint in his eyes.

"Something tell me I will." His eyes got so intense I felt like he was trying to look into my soul. "The job is temporary though. Hard to own a business and teach at the same time."

"Oh? What do you do?" Grace asked and I turned to Isaiah, rolling my eyes. He smiled, holding back a laugh.

"I have a construction company. We build the houses in subdivisions and cul-de-sacs. We build the cookie cutter houses, I guess they thought they because it involves measuring, that I could replace a math teacher for a while. I don't know." He said and Grace nodded with a smile.

"I see. How long have you done that?" She asked and he turned back to me, as if he was looking for a reaction.

"Since I was younger. It was my dad's business before he died." He said and I felt my heart hurt for him. Wait, why? I didn't even know him.