thirteen -edited-

It's been over a week and I haven't heard anything from Jacob, so I decided to drop by the house, mostly to check on Billy due to him having to deal with Jacob. I knock and seconds later Billy opens the door. "Elizabeth. Now's really not a good time." "I just came to check in on you, dealing with Jacob and all. I can go." His brows furrow before he nods. "I forgot you knew. You never say anything about it." I shrug. "It's not really my place, not my secrets." He wheels back, leaving enough space for me to come in. "As long as you're quiet I think it'll be okay." Billy turns to look down the hallway, Jacob's door still closed. "Have you eaten?" "Oh, Elizabeth you don't-" "Have you eaten?" I repeat, walking backward to the kitchen. "No, but if Jacob smells food he might wake up and he's extremely tired."

"Then I'll make enough." Not too long after I start cooking I hear the bedroom door open. Billy quickly comes over. "Go outside while he's still half asleep. After he gets a plate he may go back to his room." He motions to the door and I go out as silently as I can, waiting beside the door. I hear him start talking. "Who was here?" "Nobody, why do you ask?" I can hear the slight quiver in Billy's voice, as well as Jacob walking closer to the door, taking a deep breath. I cover my mouth with my hand, sidestepping so he couldn't see me. I'm really not trying to piss off a new wolf, that would get me more than a few scratches. When I hear him walk away I drop my hand with a sigh only to have the door be yanked open and Jacob staring at me.

I back away, quickly running to the truck and pulling out as fast as I can. My tires squeal when they hit the road. I just barely look in the rearview mirror when I pick up my phone, dialing Billy, and praying Jacob doesn't pick up. "Hello?" I let out a sigh of relief at Billy's voice. "I'm super sorry for rushing out, but Embry told me not to even go over in the first place and he'd be furious if he found out. Jacob doesn't know it was me, right?" Billy sighs. "I'm sorry, Bella, Jacob's still sick." He emphasizes Bella to let me know Jacob is near before sighing again. "Embry won't know, Jake's too distracted trying to figure out who the scent belongs to."

I huff, my knuckles turning white from my grip on the wheel. "I'm really sorry, Billy. I knew I shouldn't have shown up." "It's alright kid, next time call and I'll let you know if he's here." I smile slightly, my grip just barely loosening on the wheel. "I'm still really sorry, Billy. It won't happen again." "You can still come over, of course, you're practically a daughter. And there's always a possibility that you're Jake's imprint." My brows furrow as I tighten my grip again. "That's the second time I've heard that, what does it mean?" "That's not for me to tell you, kid." He pauses before speaking quickly. "Jacob's back, call me next time, don't go to Sam's and only meet Embry at your house."

The phone beeps indicating he's hung up. I drop my phone to the passenger seat, continuing to drive, past my house, out of Forks. I know I shouldn't leave town without telling someone but I just want to clear my head. My phone rings and I answer without checking the caller ID. "Hello?" "Elizabeth." He breathes, sounding relieved. "Jacob?" "I didn't think you'd answer after running off." My brows furrow and shake my head. "Huh?" I attempt to play it off as if I hadn't been at his house, leaving without even talking to him. "I knew the scent and the cooking were familiar." His voice is quiet and husky. "I- I don't know what you're talking about." "Don't you? I heard you on the phone, 'Lizabeth. Why don't you come back?"

"Jacob, I-" "Before you decline, I haven't shifted in anger in days." I huff, deciding to turn around and start my drive home. "Jacob, I have to go home." He sighs. "This is practically your home, come here." "Jacob." "Elizabeth, please. It's been so long since I've seen you." I watch the sun as it slowly climbs down the sky, just barely touching the horizon. "It'll take a while. I'm not in town." "Where are you?" I shrug despite knowing he can't see me. "I don't know. I just... drove." "Be careful coming back." "Will do." I hang up, speeding the entire way there. As soon as I pull into the driveway Jacob runs outside, yanking my door open. As soon as I step out his arms are wrapped tightly around my waist, hugging me to his body.

"God, I've missed you." He takes a deep breath, his muscles relaxing slowly. "I missed you too." My voice is muffled by his chest as Billy comes out. "I tried to tell him it wasn't you, but he wouldn't believe me." Billy chuckles. "I knew it was her." My face goes red as he mumbles into my hair. I step back, looking over at Billy. "Wolf-boy here finish all that food?" Jacob's face goes red as he rubs the back of his neck. "Possibly." "You let your dad get any?" Billy laughs, shaking his head. "Not any." "Both of you, inside. Any of the boys coming over or are they at Sam's?" Jacob shrugs, following me and Billy inside. "I don't know, I bet they'd come over if they knew you were cooking." I walk into the kitchen as he grabs his phone, calling the boys.

They all ended up coming, even Sam and Emily. "Call your dad, Elizabeth. It's dark and he needs to know where you are." Billy calls from the living room. "Emily, can you keep your eye on this while I call my dad?" "Of course. Go." She smiles as I walk outside, away from the noise of the five loudly talking boys. I had to tell him I was at Embry's because as far as he knows, Jacob's still 'sick with mono.' With all the food finished cooking I sit on the counter watching the boys eat, my eyes mostly trained on Jacob. He looks up at me and my eyes immediately dart to Embry. Jacob straightens up, his eyes locked on mine but not making direct eye contact. The rest of the boys freeze, dropping their utensils.