Chapter 9: Cataracta

"We should probably get off of this place." Nevaeh stated, looking down at the land far below her. Chirp nodded his head. Nevaeh was busy thinking of ways to get down when Chirp nudged her closer to the edge.

     "What are you doing?" she asked him nervously. He blew air out of his nose in annoyance. Nevaeh ignored him and moved closer to the edge, looking at possible routes to get down safely. The waterfall was right below her, and was loud enough to make her head hurt. Chirp nudged Nevaeh again.

     "What?" she asked him, "What do you want from me? I'm trying to figure this out so please," she paused, looking at Chirp's somewhat sad expression, "please, can you let me do this?"

     Chirp looked at her with tears forming in his eyes. Nevaeh felt a wave of guilt, she didn't want to drive away her only company here, especially after she probably scared him. Chirp then wiped the tears away on the grass and backed up.

     "You don't have to go, you can just watch, from like, four feet-" she was cut off from Chirp lunging toward her at full force, sending her off the cliff and into the lake below. She screamed the whole way down, thinking she was going to die.

     When she landed in the lake, she swam up to the surface and went to the dock. Placing her elbows on the soggy wood, she pulled her body up onto the dock. She was never the best at exercise, but she excelled at being motivated by fear. Chirp had landed in the lake as well, and was doing a doggy paddle to the shore. She laughed at how ridiculous he looked, then relaxed.

     She realized that it was impossible for Chirp to hurt her, he wouldn't. She didn't think Chirp would even think of killing her, let alone actually do it. Chirp came and laid next to her. He had a smile on his face and looked excited. For a moment, They both forgot that they could be mauled to pieces at any moment. It felt like it was supposed to. A bonding between companions. She closed her eyes and rested in the sunlight. Chirp laid his head next to hers, she could feel his slimy lizard breath on her forehead.

     She almost dozed off when she heard a rustling noise. She opened her eyes and looked around, Chirp doing the same. She started to hear it everywhere. Chirp looked at Nevaeh panicking and made a disappointed sound. It was just rain, and when Nevaeh noticed it, she felt stupid.

     "Sorry Chirp." she apologised for disturbing him. She put her hand on his neck. Chirp nodded, and Nevaeh looked around at the bushes shaking as the rain became more harsh.

     "We should be heading back to the teleport." she said. Chirp looked at her - yet again, disappointed.

     "What?" she asked. Chirp blew air out of his nose, stood up, and began to walk towards the teleport. Nevaeh followed. The rain pattered, rattling bushes and making the paths muddy. Nevaeh and Chirp were already soaking, so it didn't bother them much.

     It was a lot more calm during the day, almost like you couldn't tell what happened before.

     Nevaeh stopped. Then Chirp stopped as well to look at her.

     "Do you smell wet dog, Chirp?" Nevaeh asked, concerned. Chirp had never seen, nor heard of a dog, but he did smell wet fur. Chirp sniffed harder, due to the rain masking most scents. Chirp nodded and squealed.

     Nevaeh looked around, there didn't seem to be many bushed, so it couldn't be from there. Then it hit her. She's, yet again, paranoid. There was a bull grazing nearby. Chirp didn't seem to understand why she was so scared. He tried to ask her, but she would just hear dragon noises. Chirp continued walking, and Nevaeh followed, Chirp probably thought she was insane, and maybe she was. There was no way to tell unless Chirp experienced what she did. She may have gotten away scratch free, but the dread lingered. She was glad Chirp hadn't seen what happened. Chirp wouldn't be as happy.

     Maybe that was all she wanted from this trip, to make Chirp happy.

-----

(a/n: No, I'm not sure if it's a bull or a hog. Do I care? No (yes).)