Chapter 9 - Next Time I won't Ask

Marianne's POV

I lean against the closed door after Angelo walks out, allowing myself to take a deep breathe, and exhale slowly.

I walk back to the living room, take my phone out from my purse and curl up on the sofa. I open the text Jaden sent and read it again and feel my heart hurt all over again.

It's been such a long time, when will they finally let things go? it was an accident, and even though it was my fault, i regret and think about it everyday. I want what is left of my family back so bad.

My phone rings in my hand and it's Luke.

"Hey, are you home, i made dinner" he offers cheerfully, but i just sniffle in return, feeling my chest swell with pain.

"Hey, Mary, are you ok? he asks, his tone of voice now that of concern.

"No"

"What's wrong, are you home?"

"Yes" i sniffle again and he cuts the call right away.

Less than five minutes later, he shows up, letting himself in.

"What wrong babes" he asks when he finds me on the sofa, he sits down next to me and cuddles me.

I show him my phone without saying anything. I don't need to, i shared my whole story with him over a year ago and he is the only one who would understand how i am feeling right now.

"That entitled little piece of shit" he scowlers, when he is done reading the text, and i end up errupting in laughter inspite of my tears.

"Ohh, come here you" he hugs me again, rubbing my back casually as i lean on him with my head on his shoulder.

We stay like this for a while.

*

I walk up to Marianne's door and raise my hand to knock, but i notice the door is slightly open and i can partly see inside of the apartment through the space left in the door. I clearly remember her shutting the door before i walked away earlier.

What if someone just broke in and she is in danger?

Feeling a rush of panick, almost bang the door to the wall when i go in. Walking into the living room, i find her there, safe but craddled in the arms of another man, but clearly just from crying again.

My mind goes batshit crazy for a second, not sure what to make of this situation.

She said she was fine, and didn't want me to stay. So what is this? who is this?

Why is she still crying?

"Angelo" she utters, surprise on her face when she sees me.

"Your door was open" i say, my eyes on the intruder as he looks back at me and we size each other up.

Marianne breaks our trance.

"This is Luke, Luke Evans, he is my friend and neighbour, uuhhmm, he lives in the flat before mine." she says softly, still not moving out of his embrace as he continues to keep his arm around her shoulders firmly.

"Luke....." she shimmies, trying to break the hold, which she persists until she does.

"Luke this is......."

"Angelo Morreli....i know" he finishes for her and stands up.

"Pleasure to finally meet you" he adds, extending a friendly hand.

I take it, and look at Marianne.

Finally meet me? Has she been talking about me to him?

"You left your stuff in my car" i say after the brief hand shake to justify the reason for my return, and put her stuff on the table