chapter 37

Kate picked up on the first ring.

"Why are you calling me?" She asked flatly.

Nia chuckled and looked at the rearview and sideview mirror before changing lanes.

"I'm calling because I miss you," Nia said.

She kept silent as Kate muttered a long string of curses.

"I hate you," Kate said. "Is that why you woke me up?"

"Woke you up? Aren't you going to work today?"

"No, I called in sick. My boss is being an asshole. Let's see how he copes without me today."

"Man," Nia said sighing wistfully. "I wish Robert would let me take a day off."

She heard Kate perk up at the mention of Robert.

"Speaking of bosses," Kate began. "Nia, darling, when you were describing how horrible and demanding he was, you failed to mention how equally handsome and charming he is. When I saw him that day, I was gobsmacked."

"What are you talking about?" Nia asked. "Where did you see him?"

"The bar, weeks ago. Don't ask me for the date, I can't remember. I clearly remember you got drunk, went outside and nearly got harassed. To cut the long story short, I saw him holding you and oh my God!" Kate let out a girly squeal and Nia jumped.

"Can you not do that? I'm driving!"

"Sorry! But oh my God Nia! When I saw him I was rendered speechless. I stood staring for a moment before I announced my presence. God Nia, when he looked me over, I felt goosebumps. Goosebumps! And I rarely get that nonsense, y'know."

Nia shivered. "Could you stop describing it in that tone of voice? You're making me have goosebumps."

Kate continued. "And when he asked me who I was, what I wanted to say was 'The woman who'll make your kinkiest fantasy come true."

Nia grimaced. "You have a problem Kate. Try and meet a doctor today."

"Seriously Nia, if my boss looked like that, I would have let him do me on his desk."

"I have no idea why I called you."

"Hey. Have you guys... has anything gone on between you guys? I may be silly sometimes, but I notice things. And that day, that was me noticing the way he held you."

Nia rolled her eyes. Just like Kate to see stars where there were none. "And how did he hold me?"

"I don't know," Kate murmured. "Tenderly? Like he cared?"

Nia was going to laugh out, but she held back. Maybe he didn't care before, she wasn't so sure about now. She scoffed and focused her attention on the road.

"So, has anything gone on between you guys?"

"Hey," Nia said quickly. "How drunk was I? Cause I don't remember anything from that night."

"Pretty drunk. I let him take you home. No actually he insisted on taking you home. I couldn't disagree when he was scowling at me with that handsome face. Girl, you are one lucky bitch! A face like that looks at you, you should be happy! Run for the hills because they are all the same, but still be happy." Kate cleared her throat. "Now answer my question, idiot. You think I didn't notice you trying to change the subject?"

"Miss Noticer," Nia said with a scoff.

"What was that?"

Nia picked up the phone and waved it around with one hand. "Kate... Can you hear me? Sssssh... Kate? The line is... Sssssh... The line is breaking... "