10 Years Later (3/3)

"CHARLIE!" all of you screamed as the saxophone music got closer and closer.

"For God's sake, guys," shouted a voice in which you could hear him smirking, "the name is Nuwanda!"

And Charles Dalton made his entrance in the cave, saxophone in hand.

He'd barely set a foot in that the four of you leaped into his arms to hug him. "I - can't - breathe!"

"Shup up and return the hug, Nuwanda," laughed Todd.

Strangely enough, Charlie hadn't changed much. His traits were more manly, but that was about it. He hadn't changed his haircut, or grown a beard. He was the same old Charlie that left you over a decade ago after being expelled from Welton.

Once the general excitement had died down, you sat down on the rocks in a circle, like ten years before. Only this time the young hormonal teenagers were gone - you were adults now.

"We're still missing Meeks," frowned Knox. "What's he doing?"

"Maybe he won't come," said Charlie.

"No, we all swore!" protested Pitts. "We all swore to come back. Meeks would've - "

"Meeks is not coming back," interrupted Todd with a shaky voice.

You all turned towards him. His eyes were red, and a tear had rolled down his cheek. Deep inside you, you felt your heart sink. You knew what he was about to say, yet you refused to accept it. You didn't want to believe it.

"Meeks is dead."

Those three words echoed against the walls like a death sentence.

"What - what? But... how?" asked Knox, his jaw dropped open and his chin trembling.

"He went to Vietnam. Died on the battlefield. I sent a letter to his regiment, got a death notification back."

You sobbed quietly, wiping the tears with the back of your hand. Pitts was silently crying as well. Todd was looking away, blinking quickly. Knox had buried his face in his hands, shaking his head. Charlie was frozen, an expression of mixed astonishment and sadness struck on his face.

"Meeks..." you whispered.

Then suddenly, an exterior force seized you. Without thinking, you stood up and shouted with all your might:

"MEEKS, YOU SON OF A BITCH! HOW DARE YOU PASS AWAY WITHOUT GIVING ME BACK THAT PEN I LENT TO YOU TEN YEARS AGO DURING CHEMISTRY CLASS?"

The boys began laughing through their tears.

"C'mon, guys," you sniffled. "Meeks wouldn't want us to be like this. Especially not now that we're all back together."

"You're right," smiled Todd as he wiped away a tear. "Now he gets to mess around all he wants with chemistry experiments."

"Exactly! So c'mon, let's get this meeting started!"

Several nose blowings and tear dryings later, you all were ready to begin.

"So... what have y'all been up to for the past ten years?" asked Todd.

You exchanged glances - not knowing who should go first.

Then Knox cleared his throat. "Well... um, I'm a lawyer now. Criminal law lawyer. I work in a cabinet in Montpelier."

"Oooh, that sounds so cool!" exclaimed Charlie. "So now whenever I get in trouble I'll just phone call you!"

"You got yourself a girl?" asked Pittsie. "Or a boy, who knows?"

"Yeahhh, um.... I've got a fiancée."