Part 24- His Secretary

Adalina's POV

Early in the next morning, I was already awake.  I was called in for an interview which I'm really impressed since I only sent my cv yesterday.

Well, alhamdullilah anyway.

Usually, Aslan gets up before me and disappears before I wake up but today he's still asleep.

I guess it takes time for him to get fully sober.

Once I was done getting ready, I finished putting my heels on and I was about to leave the place when I heard weird noises. I immediately stopped and turned making my way to his room to see if he was okay.

As I got in, I saw him panting for air sitting on the side of the bed.

Oh my Allah, what happened to him?!

I ran to him and sat beside him asking him if he was okay.

"Aslan, what's wrong?" I asked him worried.

He turned to me and looked deep into my eyes. I felt like his eyes were hiding something. I saw sadness, pain and vulnerability.

He suddenly wrapped his arms around me and hugged me tightly. My first reflex would be to push him away but this time I wasn't able to do so.

My heart was somehow telling me that he needs the warmth of someone right now.

I hugged him back as I felt his muscles relaxing.

"hey...it's okay...whatever it is...it's okay" I was trying to reassure him.

Seconds later, he pulled away looking at me again. Just as I was about to ask him once again if he was okay, he moved away from me stroking his hair.

"Sorry I shouldn't have touched you like that...I'm fine...you can go" he said.

"Are you...sure?" I still asked due to his unexpected reaction.

"I'm okay, go" he said.

I got up in disbelief from the bed and was about to go when I stopped and turned to him. He sounds...different. Did he have a nightmare?

"I'm going for an interview...I'll be back soon" I said.

"I'll be working overtime" he said in a monotone.

"Okay...good" I said before walking out of his room.

Why do I feel like he's giving me the cold shoulder?

Shouldn't I be the one to be mad at him?

And even so, why would he be mad at me?

Without thinking too much, I made my way out of the house and ordered an Uber to pick me up.

The car suddenly stopped when I realized there was traffic. Shit. If it keeps going at the current speed, I'll be late. That's the worst first impression I could leave for my interview.

"Sorry to bother but how long will the traffic last?" I asked the driver.

"Just a while, Fridays are busy" the driver responded.

Ya Allah, help me get on time.

I kept checking the time all the way along. When I finally arrived, I ran out of the car and ran into the huge company.

Damn, this is bigger than I expected. I arrived at the reception and asked for where the interview takes place.

The lady gave me the directions to get there before I left to the interview room. Yes! I'm just on perfect time.