Chapter 50

Veronica walks over to the closet and puts on the same clothes she had on yesterday. She takes the towel from her head, releasing her curls that are still a little damp. She then digs into her bag and pulls out her phone.

She grabs the room's keycard and leaves out with hotel slippers on her feet. She takes the stairs down to the main floor and approaches the Front Desk. "Hey, I have a favor to ask."

"Okay. How can I help you?"

"My phone is dead, and I don't have my charger with me. Do you have one I can use for my iPhone?"

"Umm..."

"I'll sit right here in front of you while I charge it. I just have to make an important call."

The Attendant nods before reaching below her desk, and pulls out a charger. "You can use it over there in the lobby," she tells Veronica.

"Thank you so much." Veronica grabs the charger and turns to leave. She heads over to the lobby and spots an outlet. Moments after plugging in her phone, it turns on and notifications pop up like crazy. She has several missed calls, voicemails, and text messages. She ignores them all, and immediately calls Nate.

Nate is standing at the hospital entrance, watching Sam through the large windows as Sam paces outside like a madman. Nate reaches into his pocket for his ringing phone, and shakes his head when he sees 'V' flashing on the screen. He accepts the call. "About damn time."

"I know, my bad. Are you okay, though?"

"Not really. But Sam is taking it worse."

"I can imagine. He lives further away from her. You guys can see Aunt Lily everyday if you wanted to."

"Yeah, I get it," he states sympathetically.

"What is he doing, right now?"

"Walking back and forth in front of the hospital with his hands balled up."

"Damn..."

"I tried to get him to come back in, but it was a waste of time. I'm trying to give him his space, but at the same time I know if he doesn't go back up there with me, he's going to regret it later."

"Yeah. He should definitely go and talk to her while she's still alive."

"You do, too. Are you on your way over here?"

Veronica hesitates before answering his question. "... No. I don't want to see her like that. Reminds me of when my mom was in the hospital."

Nate nods as if Veronica can see him. "Well, can you at least come and talk to Sam?"

Veronica sighs before shaking her head in annoyance.

"What's the attitude about? I'm asking because you're probably the only one that can get through to him."

"Nathan, I don't want to be anywhere around the hospital, okay?"

"Just do it for Sam. That's your favorite cousin, isn't it?"

"All of you are something else," she states disappointedly.

"I'm just saying. You moved to California, and then all of a sudden y'all thick as thieves," he expresses with a little jealousy in his voice. "So, you should definitely be here for him."

"You know what... I'll take care of Sam, okay. Just let him be, and go spend time with your mother."

"So you're gonna come?"

"Don't worry about it. Just go."

"... Alright."

"Oh wait..."