Chapter 59

Sam pulls up to the side of a college building where Yemi attends her aviation program. Yemi walks out and immediately spots his truck.

Sam disembarks and opens the passenger door for her, causing some women to check him out while a couple of others give Yemi that 'damn, your man is fine' look.

Yemi and Sam are smiling too hard at each other to even notice the stares. They share a quick kiss before Yemi climbs in. She looks out the window and chuckles when she notices two women rolling their eyes at her.

Sam hops in and looks over at Yemi's face. "Why're you shaking your head?"

"'Cause it still shocks me how women react to you."

He waves it off. "Oh. So, how was your class?"

"Well, besides the fact that I kept thinking about this mystery meeting you have me going to... I was able to somewhat focus." She smiles, teasing him.

"Damn. I didn't mean to have that distract you from class."

"It's no big deal, babe. But are you going to finally tell me what it is, now?"

"Yeah." He starts the car back up, and looks out the rear view window before pulling off. Yemi is staring at him the whole time. "...I hired a detective," he finally says, being cautious of his delivery.

"For what? What happened?"

"I got him to look into what..." He glances over at her before finishing his sentence. "...really happened with your mom."

Yemi furrows her eyebrows in confusion. "You got the case reopened?"

"Yeah, I thought maybe it would help you in some way."

"Well... I appreciate you trying to help, babe. But there's not enough evidence to really figure anything out. They said the footage wasn't clear enough."

"They have new technology now that could help with that. Plus, sometimes it takes a second look at things to figure shit out. You know?"

She nods. "Well, did he find something out? Is that what the meeting is about?"

"I think so. He told me before that he wouldn't contact me with an update until he really had something."

"Oh wow."

He glances between her and the road, examining her body language as she looks straight ahead. "What are you thinking?"

She looks at him. "I'm a little nervous."

"...Just know I am here for you. Whatever you need, just let me know."

"How long will it take for us to get there?"

" About 15 minutes. Would you rather him tell me, and I can just tell you what he says?"

"No. I'll go. Thank you."

"Anything for you, ma. I just want you to be able to wake up in the morning knowing that your mom got the justice she needed."

She grabs his free hand, and caresses it. "You're the best."

*

20 MINUTES LATER

Detective Kennedy walks into a room where Yemi and Sam await his arrival. Yemi anxiously snaps her neck at the detective who is holding a manila folder. Sam stands up to greet him.

"Thanks for coming," the detective greets Sam, shaking his hand. He then then looks over at Yemi as Sam sits back down. "You must be Yemi."

"Yeah." She responds dryly.