Chapter 52

EARLY MORNING

Sam is lying on his back next to his mother in the hospital bed. Liliana's head is rested on Sam's arm, which is wrapped around her shoulders. She's asleep just like everyone else around the room.

Larry is sitting in a chair on the other side of the bed, holding his wife's hand that has a tube connected to it.

Nate and Stephen are slouched in chairs opposite from each other, and Delores has two chairs connected, with her upper body in one and her lower in the other.

Sam's eyes pop open, and he immediately looks down at his mother's face. He looks at the machine that she's hooked to, and sees she's still breathing. He tries to wake her.

"Ma?" He whispers to her.

She slightly moves her head with her eyes still closed.

"I'm sorry I wasn't here for you."

A tear slowly creeps out from under her eye lid.

"Don't cry, Ma. Just wanted to tell you I love you." He kisses her forehead and wipes away her tear. He throws his head back on the bed, and sighs before closing his eyes.

___

ONE WEEK LATER

Yemi's arms are wrapped around one of Sam's while Sam, his grandma, and his siblings watch Liliana's casket being lowered into the ground. Extended family and friends are walking, sullenly, towards their parked cars. Larry is sitting under the funeral tent, disinclined to see his wife being buried, and Veronica is in the next chair, consoling him.

After a long moment, Sam looks down at Yemi. "Imma head out."

"To the repast?"

He shakes his head. "I'm going home."

"Home as in Cali? Like, right now?" She asks incredulously.

He nods. "You're coming? Or you're gonna stay here with V?"

"Umm..." She looks across the way at Veronica.

"It's fine if you want to."

"You don't want to stay a little longer with your family?"

"Nah." He gently pulls his arm out of Yemi's grasp. "I have to get my bag from the hotel. Call me when you decide what you wanna do."

"I'll go with you. Let me just say goodbye to Veronica first."

He nods and then walks away towards the asphalt pavement. Yemi watches him sympathetically before making her way to Veronica.

She approaches the tent and stops right next to Larry. "Hi, Mr. Carter."

He looks up at her, and gives her a tight lipped smile.

"Is there anything I can do for you, before I leave?"

"No, I'm fine. Thank you. I'll see you at the house."

"Oh, umm. We're not going to be there. We're heading back to California."

Both Larry and Veronica furrow their eyebrows in shock.

"He's just ready to go home, that's all."

Veronica stands up and stands next to Yemi.

"I shouldn't even be surprised. He's been short with everyone since Lily... left," Larry tells them.

"He's just grieving Unc. He'll be alright," Veronica tells him.

Larry nods before looking towards his other sons. "Take care, Yemi. Thanks for being here for my son."

"No problem, Mr. Carter."