Chapter 21

Over the next few days, Alex received congratulations on her first mission, from many people - junior and senior agents alike. Apparently she was thrown in the deep end and while she appreciated their words, she knew that missions were just going to become a part of life, the both successes and failures, and didn't deserve so much recognition, even if the doctor had  been given the chance to keep living.

She didn't have much time for normality either, Julie had lined up analytical missions back to back and each time Alex, added another success to her repertoire. 

As much as she loved the triumph of success, the analytical missions were wearing her down, leaving her behind on her more physical activities, one she missed. There was an edge to her actions now that was filled with the need to hit or shoot or stab something.

Yeah, she needed to get out and do something.

After a quick conversation with Julie, Alex had finally been given some time off, though not as much as she would have liked.

She had returned to her normal lessons, as all junior agents had to do once a mission (or a long train of them in Alex's case) had been completed. 

Alex had decided to miss a couple, if not all, of her cryptography lessons, feeling like she had enough practice in that area for more than a while. Instead she spent her time running, fighting in extra lessons against a now petulant Samuel or improving her aim to increase her rank in shooting class. 

She was walking to the dorms after said lesson with Ava when, again, Julie popped out from behind her.

"Alex, do you mind coming with me?"

Again, Ava jumped. "Wow, you need to work on that. I swear one day I'm going to get a heart attack. They you'll all be sorry why you don't have me to make your lives more fabulous." Ava finished the dramatic statement with a hair flick that made Alex chuckle under her breath.

"So dramatic, you'd think you were training to be an actress, not a secret agent."

"Uh, I can do both. The next 007 is on her way."

"Yeah yeah. Aim big you know? Follow your dreams, reach for the stars, don't stop believing."

"Are you just doing song lyrics right now?"

Alex shrugged. "Yeah, and?"

"You're impossible."

Julie cleared her throat. "You two are just, my god. Anyway, Alex can I speak to you?"

She just nodded her head tiredly, motioning for Ava to carry on without her.

Ava mouthed, 'Tell me about it later!' Then carried on along the corridor. 

Alex followed Julie to her office where there was a brown envelope waiting on the desk, one that filled Alex with trepidation.
"Another mission? I just finished one!"

"I know and I know we promised you a break but all of our senior agents are occupied and you have just the right skill set. If you do not want to complete it, we will have to give it to someone else, slightly less qualified who, I don't think will do nearly as good of a job as you would and may mess it up. It really is an important mission." The room fell into silence but after a few moments of thinking, Alex spoke up.

"Okay, what do you need." It was just too easy to convince Alex to do something. Darn her stubborn pride.

That was how Alex found herself standing  in front of a majestic building close to the heart of London. 

She had been assigned to an intel mission in the field, her first one, reporting back to Auxilium with who leaves and enters the building. She was given a pair of special sunglasses that would identify anyone she looked at and would make a record of them. She had to admit she was having fun with the camera feature, taking lots of photos of rocks she knew Julie would love.