Chapter 26

Alex didn't get another chance to go to the computer room again for weeks. Auxilium had the place on full lockdown since the 'mysterious woman'  broke into the building. 

There had been no trace found of the woman in black and after a week of constant searching, the agency decided to stop searching for the ghost. But the fact that someone got in, attempted to access information and got away? That showed the agency that their security was flawed. So all of their security measures, everything was upgraded to the point it was comparable to spending time in a high security prison with more perks.

That had just showed Alex she was close to something, something important.

Many people had taken to openly expressing their displeasure at the increased security and as a result, their reduced freedom. You couldn't leave the agency, not without a good reason and signed permission from the director - someone whose role remained a mystery to Alex, even now.

Alex wasn't totally unfeeling towards her role in the current situation, knowing she was really to blame for everyone's irritation. So yes, she felt guilty, at least a little.

But that wasn't going to stop her from trying again and again, or as many times as it took to unearth the secrets she had a feeling she needed. 

Everyone had fallen into the endless monotony of lessons once more. Alex hadn't been sent on any more missions and she didn't quite know if it was because of her previous request or from what had happened at her last one. It was obvious that Julie would have known exactly what happened, probably known her interest in that person. She was wearing the sunglasses after all and everything she saw, the agency did too. 

The only reason she wasn't being interrogated right now was most likely because no one would believe that a fifteen-year-old who hadn't even made full-time agent would even attempt something so impossible, something so damaging to her future at Auxilium. 

It was one one day, after a chemistry lesson on electronegativity that Alex had found particularly interesting, that someone who wasn't Ava actually tried to talk to her.

She winced when thinking of her friend. Their relationship had been strained recently, Ava still denying to tell Alex the truth they both knew was still being hidden. They tried to go on as normal but even their usual banter became forced.

"Ava, please, just tell me!"

The expression on Ava's face was broken. "No, I can't, I really, truly can't, no matter how much I want to."

The conversation was left at that.

Alex shook herself as she watched the approaching figure. The person walked, no, glided towards her with a grace that wouldn't be unfit amongst royalty. It didn't take any special powers of deduction to work out who it was.

"Ah, how may I help you, Heather?" Alex, couldn't help it, she was sarcastic by nature. 

"Hello Alex. I don't have very much to say to you, not really. Just why you didn't come to us yourself to give us a full report on your mission at the Tower of London. We had to watch the events unfold on a low resolution video with far too many pictures of rocks."

At least all of Alex's hard work payed off. "It was exactly because you were going to see everything that happened, without my subconscious subjectivity adding a filter to the whole, how should we put this, experience  that I didn't deem it necessary to come to you." Alex looked at the girl in front of her, someone who was trying to exude so much power it made her grimace. "And anyway, someone like Julie should be here if the agency cared that much."

Alex leaned forward, letting her eyes harden.

"Why do you care about my personal experience on that particular mission, Heather?"

She loved the power in saying someone's name, using it against them. In some ways, sure, it was akin to manipulation but really, it was just good choice in language. Someone as proud as Heather would see the challenge and refuse to back down. 

Heather was always one to meet Alex's expectations.

When Heather matched Alex's stance, leaning forward so their faces were inches apart, she could feel the anger pouring out of her.

"Watch yourself. You may be strong, you may have a certain sway in the higher levels but I am still in control here. I have sway. I know things you want to know and I will take great joy in watching you fail."

And oh how Alex hated to fail. If anything, that right there made Alex want to find out what was on the system more than anything else, especially because Heather was hinting she knew things. She needed this.

In her fury, she missed all the signs and fell right into the trap. 

"Oh Heather, you are no where as in control as you think."

Heather raised a delicate eyebrow. "Do you really think so? I cannot wait to find out."

Electricity crackled between their gazes, neither willing to back down and yield before the other. 

They were snapped out of their staring contest by familiar head of silver hair.

"Uh, you guys okay? You do realise neither of you have the power of hypnosis right? There's no point staring into each other's eyes with such intensity. It just makes you look weird."

Alex chuckled darkly. "Never one to stray from the truth, huh, Ava."

Ava returned it with a tight smile, understanding the hidden meaning instantly. "Course not." She turned away from her and looked at Heather.

"So what were you guys doing?" Alex saw through her straight away. Ava knew something.

"I was just having a lovely conversation with Alex, you know."

Ava's eyes narrowed at that. "I'm sure." Then grabbed Heather's arm and started dragging her along. "We need to have a little chat."

Alex let them go, not paying attention to their harsh whispering. She had more important matters on her mind and she needed some information.

There was only one person in Auxilium who loved to gossip enough to deal in information, no questions asked. For the right price, of course.

Alex walked into the dark room, used to develop special prints for fake IDs, passport photos and any images that needed hidden messages embedded. As a secret agency, Auxilium needed them all more than you could imagine.

The room was quiet save for the rustling of paper and the swish of chemicals in the corner. Alex made her way slowly, looking around the red-bathed room.

She checked her pocket again for the payment and satisfied she had enough for the little information she did need, she approached the cloaked shadow.

Also seen as the boy in the black hoody. 

"I need information." No point in beating around the bush.

He looked up, staring at her from under the hood. "Doesn't everyone?"

"Fair point."

"Payment?"

Alex extracted the bag, hearing the metal clink within it. She passed it over, watching as he snatched it from her almost hungrily. He looked through, valuing her offerings, before nodding at her for her request.

She cleared her throat, hoping that her voice wouldn't come out meek or shaky. "I need to know who has a history of stealing, breaking in or anyone who can, well, get into places."

Though she couldn't see his expression she could practically see his suspicion. "Something you want to tell me?"

"Just get on with it," she growled. "And remember, not a word. You've taken the payment, in return I get your silence."

"No, you're right. I'm nothing if not a good business man. As for your request, there's one person who has the skills you require."

"Who?"