Chapter 6

OUT of courtesy, Milly offered Neil a ride back to Welton, one of which he leapt at the opportunity to take. And it wasn't a silent journey, casual conversation passed back and forth like a baton.

She followed Neil's request of parking off the academy premises, but didn't ask why, already knowing the answer.

Once the car was in break, the two sat stationary around the corner from the school gate, Neil broke the ever so brief silence.

"Thank you again... for everything," he says.

"Oh, well... a fraternal twin of Meeks is a fraternal twin of mine," Milly echoes his words from earlier teasingly.

The two laughed, their smiles shy and their cheeks rosy.

And alas, they reached that comfortable silence again, giving themselves time to adjust to the knots tugging in their stomaches.

"D'you really think I stand a chance?" Neil asks, earning the curiosity of Milly's eyes again.

"You sit, stand and lay all the chances in the world," she says resolutely. "You were sensational."

Neil's eyes flickered back and forth between hers, searching for the slightest sign of wavering doubt, but it never showed. "And say that's the case... do you think that would be enough to make someone that thought acting was worthless change their mind?"

Like your father? she thinks to herself.

But she takes a different approach, maintaining her supposed ignorance. "I don't know that I think it would be enough, but I do know that I think it should be. You belong on that stage, Neil. Regardless of the outcome."

That knot in his chest suddenly felt like nothing in comparison to the thumping of his heart. It was so strong he could feel it in his throat, and hear it drumming in his ears.

"You know, uh..." he breathes out a laugh through his nose, his eyes falling to his hands in his lap for only a moment. Then back to her glistening doe eyes. "I'm kind of beginning to think they made a mistake at the hospital. The resemblance is at a loss to me in more ways than one."

Milly's laughter ran sweet on his ears, her beautiful smile wonderfully contagious.

She rested the side of her crown against the head of her chair, and just stared at the boy in the passenger seat that couldn't seem to take his eyes off her.

"You should head back inside," she diffused.

Neil was almost kicking himself. "I'm not sure I want to," he admits. When her eyebrows raise warningly, he adds, "But... I should."

The challenge on her face eased, Milly's lips tilting upward. She was almost kicking herself.

Suddenly, his eyebrows upturned, a vulnerability to his features that tugged at her heartstrings. "Can I see you again?"

"You will."

"Promise?" he asks almost pleadingly, that side smile of his returning.

"I promise."

If he wasn't so close and the car wasn't so quiet, he was sure he would have never heard her.

Her head dipped a little. "It's not like I want you to go either."

"You shouldn't say that," Neil laments.

"Why not?"

"Because now I'll never leave."

His boyish smile only made her sigh, and she pulled her head away, straightening it ahead. "Goodnight, Neil."

"So soon?"