ONE!

"ONE HUNDRED YEARS AGO IN 1859, FOURTY ONE BOYS SAT IN THIS ROOM AND WERE ASKED THE SAME QUESTION THAT GREETS YOU AT THE START OF EACH OF EACH SEMESTER. GENTLEMEN, WHAT ARE THE FOUR PILLARS?" Mr. Nolan, the headmaster of Welton Academy spoke to his fine students.

Tradition. Honor. Discipline. Excellence.

Rebetta Carmichael stayed close next to her grandmother as she watched the boys around her chant those fine words that meant so much to Welton Academy. Welton Academy was built up of fine praise, being the finest preparatory school in all of New England. Rose Carmichael, her grandmother, could never pass up on such an opportunity that was presented her way.

Rebetta Carmichael was just like every other girl, except she was brighter than all the other girls in her hometown back in Iowa. She excelled at all her learning, her parents couldn't seem to possibly keep up with such smarts. That left a disconnect between Betta and her parents. The only family she ever considered "family" was her Rose Carmichael, her grandmother.

Rose Carmichael wasn't necessarily born into wealth, however she eased her way into it. As a young girl on the outskirts of Iowa, she dreamed of becoming the next Emily Dickinson. Rose wasn't born into money, however was quite poor as a child. She had a gift, she was quite bright and excelled in all of her studies. She graduated from her small town high school in 1920, and studied English at the University of New York City. Then on, she published one book after another. Normally it wasn't typical for a woman to be in the spotlight when it came to publishing, but her words took the hearts of people. She became a sensation on the East side.

She saw something in Rebetta that she didn't see in her own daughter. Her daughter picked up on her fathers genes. Common sense smart, but not that bright like her. She loved her the same, but she saw hope in Rebetta. She saw a bright future for the small blonde.

Rebetta hated being in the center of attention, especially right in this moment. She was going to become the first female student in Welton's one hundred history. After much persuasion, Rose Carmichael convinced Gale Nolan to have a fine, bright, female into his school. Gale wasn't sure, but then he remembered who Rose was.

Rebetta believed every moment mattered. She had the brightest imagination and looked up to Rose as a mentor. She would write to her all the time back when she still lived in Iowa, talking about the countless stories she would pick up from the local library. She looked at Rose in a way that she didn't look at her mother, because they were total opposites. Rebetta and her mother would constantly butt heads and her mother would threaten to move her with her grandmother. She didn't mind, and now she was here.

"In her first year, Welton Academy graduated five students. Last year we graduated fifty-one. And more than seventy-five percent of those went on to the Ivy League." Nolan told the crowd. "This kind of accomplishment is the result of fervent dedication to the principles taught here. This is why you parents have been sending us your sons. This is why we are the best preparatory school in the United States."

The crowd applauded Nolan for Welton's proudest achievements. "C'mon, clap." Rose nudged Betta to clap. Betta went on by doing a soft clap, trying to fit in with everyone else. She was going to be a student after all.

"For the first time ever, in over one hundred years. Welton Academy has accepted its first female student."

Oh great, time to be the center of attention, Rebetta thought.

Rebetta stood up in the crowd along with her grandmother as there was chatter from all the male students who probably have never seen a female in their whole life, or at least in a very long time.