Chapter 11 : Operator

It would be a lot easier if he could just use a cell phone, but he couldn't risk bringing the entire European spy association on him. It showed 1:42am on his Casio wrist watch, a 5600 model that has been with him half his life, its faded print and scratched surface marked the resume of his career.

Unlike Simonov, who was a respectable old enemy turned friend, Nicholai grew up gangster, and may sell him out the first chance he gets. Morris stared into the dark rain, wondering what may come to him.

"Oh, Crap!" he cursed as he saw the familiar face. "You son of a bitch! You sold me out!"

It was the Polar Bear, again, standing tall and silence, not remotely responding to him.

"I need to meet Army General Siwanov." Morris went straight to the point.

"Not an easy man to meet."

"That will be my problem. I need to meet him, alone."

There was half a minute of silence, both men were just standing in the rain, like two gunslingers ready to draw.

Once again the albino giant turned to his back and disappeared, just like the night before. Knowing how the Polar Bear works, Morris told himself to be patient. He returned to the motel, looked up and saw JoJo's window lit, hoping she was safe asleep.

He went to the nearest bar and ordered a drink, let the alcohol block him to a moment of silence, so he could plan further.

"Hey, Mister. Drinking alone?"

Approached him was a teenage girl, she had cheap permed hair and heavy makeup, but her taste of clothes gave away her age. Her denim jacket carried rainbows and unicorns, with a denim skirt too short for her age.

"Go away." Morris said tiredly.

"You look like you can use some company." said the girl placing her purse on the bar table.

"Believe me, I don't."

"What's wrong? Don't you like girls?" the young girl teased. "Maybe you prefer man instead?"

"I don't need any companies!" Morris growled.

"Well, that gentleman seems to be interested at you. He asked me to give you this."

The young girl removed her purse, revealing a folded paper underneath. Morris looked out the window where she was pointing, a giant shape disappeared into the rain.

He unfolded the piece of paper, a word and phone number was printed on it. The young girl made her delivery and was about to leave, Morris caught her by the arm.

"Wait." he said to the girl. "What size do you wear?"

* * *

He returned to the room and found JoJo woken up. She did exactly what she was told, fully dressed right down to her black school shoes. She has been sleeping on top of the bed cover, using her school blazer as a blanket, probably disgusted by the bed sheet.

"Sleep." Morris told her quietly.

"I did." the little girl sat up and rubbed her eyes. "Did you get anything?"

"Yes." Morris answered. "Sleep some more. We have a long trip tomorrow."