Part 8

"You what?" I whisper yelled.

His eyes widened. I'm not sure if it was from disbelief that I was awake or disbelief that he said it.

"I-i uh--"

"Did you just say you love me?" I asked. I was blushing ferociously and grinning but he couldn't see through the dark.

"Yeah.. but you don't nee-"

"I love you too." I cut him off knowing he was going to ramble and assume I didn't love him.

"You-- you what."

"Daryl. Hello. I've been in love with you since forever."

"You have??" He whisper screamed.

"Of course I have!" I whisper screamed back.

"You have??" He asked again in disbelief.

"Probably ever since the third time we met at our spot, and you climbed up the tree, and proceeded to fall off and land on me!" I whisper screamed laughing.

He laughed along with me. It was quiet for a few minutes we both just sat there for a minute processing this.

"Darlin'?"

"Yeah dar-bear?" I whispered.

"Does this mean you're my girl? if-if you wanna be I- I'm not--"

"Of course ill be your girl."

"My girl..." He wispered.

It was dark but I could tell he was grinning at me. I grinned back.

"Are you... are you blushing..?" He said.

"What no.."I denied.

"Did get the badass, hardcore, ever stoic, y/n to blush..?!"

"No... it's the cold..." I denied yet again.

"Right and not the fact that I called you "My girl"?" He asked me.

I blushed even harder, "N-no.." The voice crack in that word alone showed it was true.

"Night darlin'" He whispered and chuckled a bit.

"Good night dar-bear."

I laid back down. And to my surprise, Daryl laid close to me. I adjusted so I was on his chest.

"Is this okay?"

"Perfect.." he responded kissing the top of my head.

With that, I fell asleep. Still blushing.

The guy I loved, he loved me back, and he promised he'd never go away again...

I woke up. Still smiling from our late-night talk.

"Mornin'," Daryl said smiling at me.

"Good morning."

We stepped out of our tent and headed back to the main area of our camp.

"Everybody listen up. Those of you with C.B.s, we're gonna be on channel 40. Let's keep the chatter down, okay? Now you got a problem, don't have a C.B., can't get a signal or anything at all, you're gonna hit your horn one time. That'll stop the caravan. Any questions?" Shane stated.

"We're, uh... We're... we're not going." Morales said gesturing to his family.

"We have family in Birmingham. We want to be with our people." I never even learned his wife's name...