Ch. 7: Deafening Silence

Yasir's P.O.V.

She pulled back, and as if she could feel me watching, her eyes fell on me.

Her smile faltered.

The man in front of her also turned his head to look at me.

I averted my gaze and drove away.

Ayaara's P.O.V.

"Who was he, love?"

"Yasir," I whispered, watching his car disappear down the street.

"Who?" his eyebrows pulled together.

I looked at him, "Huh? Oh, my boss for the project I'm working on. Mr. Yasir Amir."

"And you call him by his first name? How professional of you," he chuckled.

I smiled half-heartedly.

What was that expression on Yasir's face? It was on his face for a few seconds but he covered it up with his usual stoicism before I could decipher it.

"I'd sit down with you so we could eat together, but I think I should start going to beat the traffic, love. I need to be back before my break is over."

"I understand. Thank you for bringing me lunch."

"Of course, baby."

I gave him a hug and he kept me in his embrace.

"Love?"

"Hm?"

"Let's visit my parents' on Friday again."

I moved my head back to study his face. It was surprising because I was the one who had to convince him to visit them.

Jumping at the opportunity to bring him and his father together, I agreed eagerly, "Okay!"

"Mum's having a small get-together actually. Instead of going directly from work, I'll pick you up from your apartment. You could get some rest and maybe wear desi clothes."

"Oh! Okay. I thought it was just going to be us like last time. How many other families will be there?"

"Just a few other people."

"Sounds good. We'll finally catch Zoya this time," I grinned.

He nodded happily before leaning into my ear, "I love you."

"I love you too," I tightened my arms around him.

"Bye, love," he pecked my head before getting into his car.

"Bye! Text me once you get to your office."

"Will do, baby."

Yasir's P.O.V.

I had girlfriends in high school and university, but none of them made me feel the way she did. I didn't allow any of them in enough to make a place in my heart, but Ayaara... She already claimed it as hers before I knew it. She's made a home for herself in it.

"What happened, beta? You're especially quiet today," Ami said after I fed her a bite of boiled cauliflower.

"Nothing, Ami."

She nodded silently, her lingering gaze revealing that she didn't believe me.

Perhaps this was for the best.

She deserves someone better—someone who is not like me. She was innocent, but I was not. I was also a lot older, while her boyfriend seemed relatively closer to her age.

Ayaara's P.O.V.

"Yasir?" I spoke inhibitedly the next morning.

He glanced up at me from his desk.