Ch. 17: Phantoms

Ayaara's P.O.V.

I wiped my tears when the technician returned.

"Yes, so I confirmed you for both appointments two weeks from today, that way you won't have to make two trips. It's the earliest we have available."

"Thank you."

After slipping the photo into my purse, I texted Yasir on my way out and exited the hospital when I saw him pull up.

He got out of the car and opened the door for me before getting back in.

"How was it?"

"It went well," I then looked down into my lap solemnly, "But the technician said my baby is a little small, so they're going to monitor me. I have another ultrasound in two weeks and an appointment with an OBGYN."

"Don't worry, Ayaara."

I turned to look at him.

"With frequent appointments, they'll be able to detect if something's wrong early on. Don't worry about what you don't know. Think positive."

I nodded softly.

He was right. I would only be stressing myself out further.

"What's your brother's address?"

We engaged in small talk until we reached. I asked him about his meeting and what he had been up to the last approximate year and a half. His answers were all about work, as I had expected, considering the workaholic that he is.

After the car came to a stop, I said to him, "Thank you, Yasir, really."

I would've invited him in for dinner, but Bhai and Bhabi wanted to speak to me about something important.

"You don't have to thank me. How will you be going home?"

"I'll probably stay here tonight."

He nodded.

"Drive safe."

"If you need anything, call me. Go in."

I nodded and got out of the car. I entered a code into the intercom's keypad to open the gates to our family home. I then turned around with a small smile and waved before he drove away.

As I made my way up the driveway, all I saw were phantoms of Faris and I.

"Faris!... You didn't even say bye to me."

"All is fair in love and war... You forgot, then so did I!"

Love isn't fair. I want to forget. It hurts too much.

A small twinge of pain in my tummy pulled me out of my thoughts, but it was gone as fast as it came.

I dried my wet cheeks with my sleeves and brought a smile on my lips before entering the open door that perfumed the smell of a savory meal in the works. I didn't want to worry my brother and sister-in-law and dampen the atmosphere here too like I did back home in New York.

My feet carried me to the living room after I passed the empty kitchen where there was a pot of food simmering.

My brother was laying his head in his wife's lap, his face turned towards her stomach. He pressed his lips to it before looking up at her lovingly and pulling her head down for a kiss.

I turned around and covered my eyes, "The door was open, so I came in! But I didn't see anything!"

Bhai chuckled as Mehwish Bhabi called my name.

I turned around and they greeted me with a hug.

"How are you?" Mehwish Bhabi beamed.

"Alhamdulillah. And you two?" I smiled.