15| Hurts

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Hurts

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 15: Hurts (Amelia's POV)

I stared out the window as Michael drove us back from the art gallery. "Donna seemed nice," I said, turning to him. 

"Yeah. I'm glad uncle Mason called us to meet her tonight." He kept driving and we fell into silence. "Your parents came yesterday, didn't they?" 

"Yeah." I turned to look at him, thinking back to yesterday. "Why?" 

"I'm just curious. How did things go with them?" 

"Good." 

"Yeah?" 

"Yeah. Really good." 

"I made the hashbrowns," I announced, bringing the plates over to Jacob and Cameron.

"Thank you," they chimed in sync. We were all sitting together and eating while waiting for our parents to arrive. 

The doorbell rang and I was sitting the closest to it so I went and answered the door. I squealed, throwing my arms around my mom since she was standing in front of my dad. "Mom!" 

"Lia!" She laughed, hugging me back tightly. 

"Hey, Mom!" Cameron rushed over. 

I moved over, hugging Dad. "How've you been hun' we missed you," he chuckled, rubbing my back softly. 

"I missed you too," I said, my voice muffled into his shoulder. We all headed back inside and settled down, talking and catching up first. Mom and Dad told us a bit about how things are back home, Jacob told them a little about his work, so did Cameron. And then everybody's attention was on me. 

"How about you, Lia? How's your work going?" Mom asked. 

"How do you think it's going?" Dad scoffed. "She works with Michael after all." 

I tilted my head to one side, sighing. "Dad." 

"What? Am I wrong?" He shook his head, leaning back on the couch and folding his arms across his chest. 

I stared at my nails while picking at them. 

"Why don't you quit, honey?" Mom asked. 

"No," I shook my head. "No, I... I can't quit on him." I sighed, looking up at the others. "And he's not that bad." 

"Lia, he—" 

I cut Cameron off. "I know what he did." I glanced at Jacob. Who still doesn't know. "But I work for him now." 

"Exactly. Why?" she scoffed. "He's an asshole." 

"Cam," Jacob whispered, grabbing her hand. 

"He's really not that bad, you guys. He's different, not how he was the last time I saw him."