Abroad [Part 2] (EDITED)

2:00pm

Seblia entered her workspace fully dressed for her shift. Within seconds, she turned the desk radio on. However, instead of relishing in full volume, she kept it just barely audible, plopping down in her chair. She pulled out her phone and unlocked it, clicking to her voicemails.

"How could I miss this many voicemails and not get notified until now?" She muttered, scrolling through the list of red. The unheard messages were mostly numbers she didn't recognize, though the rest had names to them.

One being Jane Maidson.

The moment the name registered, Seblia clicked it and put the phone to her ear, smiling ecstatically as she listened.

"Hi, Seblia. It's Jane. I just wanted to call and let you know that James and I are organizing our little Thanksgiving get together next month. We wanted to extend an invitation to you, but we had an idea. For old times sake, we could hold it there in the cul-de-sac. How about that? If you're interested, give us a call. Hope to hear from you soon."

Seblia lowered the phone, making a note to call back.As she scrolled through the rest of the list, she ignored the numbers she didn't know until she came upon one with Zander's name. However, her eyes drifted to one above it. It wasn't labeled with a name, but for some reason it seemed familiar. She looked at the number, trying to pair it with a name but her mind kept drawing a blank. Though, it insisted that she knew.

She clicked it.

Nothing. Just silence. After a while, Seblia looked confusingly at the screen, seeing that the message, or lack of, had finished after four seconds. She perked an eyebrow, clicking the next message with the same number.

This one wasn't silent. "You resort to blocking me, hm?"

Seblia froze as Michael's gruff, unmistakable voice entered her ear. She felt a chill run through her. However, she felt a fire begin to grow in her gut. Her jaw clenched. Each word only served to infuriate her.

"If you won't talk to me over text, fine. I can still get to you through these messages or better yet, how about you call me. We'll talk about this like adults--"

"Fucking asshole." She growled, silencing the message before it could finish.

"--because I'd like to know where you're getting this idea that I've done something to you. I would like to believe I was very kind to you. So...come on, stop acting like a child and--"

Having enough, Seblia wrenched the phone from her ear, glaring at the others that awaited her. She could already predict the drivel awaiting her. She reluctantly clicked on the next one. Sheer curiosity kept her from just forgetting it.

"Come on, babe. Just call me. You used to love it when I'd call you babe. I haven't heard your voice in so long. I miss what we had, don't-"

Click.

"Why the silent treatment. I've been good to you--"

"I can't understand unless you talk to me--"

"Just give me a call, we don't have to meet up, just call-"

She kept burning through the messages, skipping over several. Her attention went to the most recent one, it had been received around noon. She sighed and clicked it.

This time there was silence, or at least it seemed it. It didn't take long till she heard Michael's low breathing.

"...You're scared to admit you're wrong. Is that it? You'd rather blame a fictional bogeyman instead of looking me in the eye and admitting that YOU'RE THE ONE WITH THE PROBLEM!?"