Chapter 7: School...

When I woke up from my amazing dream world, I saw that Thalia's bed was already made. I looked at the clock, and I jumped out of bed when I saw that it was 9:00am. I grabbed my schedule and I saw that my first class was at 9:15am. I felt a little relief, but I ran around trying to get ready and grab what I needed. I threw on a maroon tank top, and a pair of light blue jeans. I saw that I had packed one of my old backpacks that I use as a purse and I threw it over my shoulder. I also made sure the necklace the fairies gave me was safely tucked under my shirt where no one could see it. I did even look in the mirror as I ran out of the room. I had managed to grab my schedule, and I saw that my first class was about as far away as it could possibly be. I was running almost at full speed through the hallways, and people were giving me strange looks as I hurried. I finally found the classroom, and the teacher was just about to close the door. "Wait" I said, and I ran up to him. He raised an eyebrow, "Ah, Hello Ms. Spinder." he said. I gave him a small smile, "Hi" I said in a low voice as I walked into the classroom. His name was Mr. Glader and he was a Math teacher. He was like all the other math teachers I have ever had, strict and to the point. There were ten people in the class and I recognized half of them- Grey, Kase, Thalia, Kimberly, Oliver, and Hue. I sat next to Thalia and Kimberly, and Grey was in front of me. He looked back and gave me a smile when I sat down. The class was right on my learning level, and I was actually surprised to find that it wasn't very difficult for me. I walked with Thalia and Kimberly to my next class. They told me that all the kids our age, which was 16-18, all have the same schedule. The exception was the last class, where you usually have a private tutor to work on your own personal abilities or no class if you had no abilities. I was surprised to find that it was possible not to possess an ability but still be a part of this world. They told me it was actually fairly rare to have an ability, most of the kids were mostly mortal with talented parents. The next class was Language Arts, and it was even easier than math because I loved to write. It was simple and I was occupied the whole hour, which seemed to be the length of each class. After that class, we went to lunch and there was soup and salad being served. Everything at the school was top notch, and it reminded me of the private school down the road at my house in Florida. I never thought of myself as a private school person, but I guess it was just meant to be. We all went to history next, and I loved the class. The class was learning about the creation of parliament, and I soaked up all the information. I found the class a lot like listening to an amazing fiction story, but it was all true. The next class was science, and I found that also interesting. The teachers name was Mr. Roth, and he was my favorite teacher. "The DNA found in the gifted, us, is a special type of DNA, totally different than humans. We have the same basic structure which is what makes us look... normal, but we have a whole extra layer over our DNA. It is what gives us the capability to have the ability to dip into the forces of nature. Time, Space, Mind, Death, War, and Nature. This extra layer also enhances resistance to sickness and disease average humans would usually suffer with. The gifted are naturally athletic, and we tend to heal a lot faster than a human. Now, that does not mean that we are invincible, or live longer lives than average humans. Let's take Elves for an example" he started. I shifted uncomfortably in my chair, "Elves usually live a lot longer than a normal human life span. Not many people understand the development of elves. Elves do not slow their aging until they are fully grown. An elfish child develops like a human until the age they are fully grown and then their aging slows down. The eldest elf I have ever heard of lived almost three hundred years." he said. I stared at him in amazement. I suddenly felt eyes on me and I looked over to Hue who was giving me an odd look, so I looked back to Mr. Roth. "The elves and the gifted are very similar. The only difference is that elves live longer, heal slightly quicker. They don't have as high a chance of getting an ability, and the only element they can possible manipulate is nature." he said. I jumped when I heard the bell ring. "Ok class I want an essay on the difference between Elf and the gifted with tons of factual information. I expect it to be turned in in three days." he said. I was very excited to write the essay. I started to leave when I heard my name called. Mr. Roth walked up to me. "I am very glad you are taking my class Ms. Spinder" he said. I nodded, "I am too, and I loved learning those things." I said. He smiled, "I thought you might want to know a few things about your history and....yourself." he said. I knew right away that he knew my mother was an elf. I was overwhelmed with questions I wanted to ask him. "Do you know what my aging process will be?" I asked. He seemed amused by my eagerness. "Sorry Esme, but I have never met a half elf half Gifted. I have no idea what to expect with you." he said. I was a little disappointed. "So, I'm guessing my parent's story is a classic Romeo and Juliet one." I said. He laughed, but a dark shadow came into his eyes. "You are the result of two rebellious spirits, just remember that rebellion doesn't usually end well." he said. On that dark note, he walked back to his desk. I walked out of his room with a shiver, and found Kimberly and Thalia waiting for me. They asked what that was about and I vaguely filled them in.