8~ Snow Cones

Sunday was a normal day in the Barnes household. It was one of the few days of the week that the boys didn't have football practice.

"What are you kids doing today?" Dad asked Coop, Con, and I as we sat on the couch watching Last Man Standing.

I shrugged. "This was pretty much my plan." I gestured to how we were now.

"I'm going to the store and running errands. I won't be back for a while. Y'all should get out of the house. Go to the park. Go shopping. Do something." He urged us. "I'm out of here. I love all of y'all. Try and take Carter too."

He waved as he left the house.

"What do you say about football in the park?" Connor asked the two of us.

"Hell yes, I'm in" Coop and I said at the same time. "That's creepy" we said again.

"Ugh shut up!" I growled.

Connor was laughing his ass off as was Cooper. I rolled my eyes and headed to my room.

I changed out of my hoodie and leggings and into a pair of running shorts and a tank top. I threw my hair up into a high pony and I was ready.

Cooper and Connor were trying to get out of his room and come with us. I looked at Connor with a questioning look to which he shook his head.

"Come on Carter, you should get out of the house." I urged.

"Leave me alone. I don't want to go." He growled at me.

"Why not? You've been a grump ever since we got here unless you're around your friends. You need some sunshine. Get adjusted to the place."

"I told you I don't want to go Cora. Now leave me the hell alone" he snapped.

I growled in frustration. "Fine be a jackass, but you can't mope around all the freaking time. It's childish and stupid." I yelled and stormed away.

The boys followed me silently.  Connor grabbed his keys off the hook and the three of us went outside. I hopped into the front seat and slammed my door in anger.

Connor and Cooper got in the car slowly. I took a deep breath to calm myself down.

"Coco?" Coop asked softly.

I turned to him and Connor. Their faces showed concern. I never really blew up at my brothers. I've always had a pretty good relationship with them. There have been sibling fights but it was over something stupid and ended quickly.

"I'm sorry guys." I apologized and ran a hand down my face. "He's been a jerk recently and it got to me."

"It's okay. We understand." Connor said as he started the car, but made it move to back out of the driveway. He looked over at me with another concern look.

I put a smile on my face and looked at my brothers. "Let's go to the park"  I smiled and Connor pulled out of the drive way.

We played our favorite music and all of my worries about Carter just washed away.

The town wasn't that big. They had a Main Street with most everything on it. The store was at the end of the road. The school was to the left of Main Street as well as the football field. The park wasn't far from the school.

I haven't had much of a chance to explore the town. It was small and a little run down, but it was a great town.

We arrived at the park and walked to the little clearing. Good thing there weren't any kids practicing football or soccer.  We started playing football, even though it was unfair because it was two on one.