CHAPTER FIVE

"Girl! Girl! Can't you hear me!" The duchess looked at me with a quizzical brow.

"Yes, madam." I took the leather-bound book resting on the desk and placed it on the duchess' waiting hand.

"God, one would think you're going deaf." She adjusted her position on the couch and took a sip of her tea. "Leave. I'll call for you when I need you again." She dismissed me with a wave of her hand.

In fear that she would change her mind I hurried to the door and bolted down the hallway. My shoes skidded on the polished granite floor as I turned the corner and burst through the dining hall doors. "My God, please give me patience."

"You're going to need more than patience to deal with her." Said Mari while she polished the dining table.

My lips twisted into a grimace. "I know." 

"At least she hasn't thrown anything at you today." She moved a chair back and started polishing the armrests.

Sauntering over, I sat on the chair and batted my lashes with a teasing smile. "Thank you. I needed to take a break." 

She put her hands on her hips and huffed. "But I will." 

An overtly dramatic yelp escaped my lips when her dirty rag slapped me in the face. "I love you too." With a pout, I started to polish the rest of the chairs. "The noble ladies are coming by today, and you know what that means."

"Yes, we finally will have some spare time." She wiped her hands on her apron and placed the floral centerpieces back on the table.

After skittering into the kitchen when the noble ladies arrived, I peeked a couple of times to see who came to the gathering. Some of the faces I recognized from when I was a child.

Some thirteen years ago. A group of noble ladies stumbled into me in the hallway.

"And who is this young lady?" A blonde woman with a sweet smile asks a six-year-old me.

"What's your name? Are you visiting the duchess?" Another adds.

"Lehylany," I respond, clutching the fabric of my skirt.

"Oh, how cute." A brunette says with a smile.

"Ladies!" The duchess calls as she rushes towards the group of women. "I apologize for my tardiness." Her eyes fall on me. "I see you have met Lehylany." A smile creeps across her face, but it does not reach her eyes.

"Yes, is she one of your family members?" The blonde woman asks.

"No, she is the daughter of one of the kitchen staff. She must be lost." She grabs my arm. Her nails digging into my skin. "I'll take her to her mother. Please, go into the dining area. I'll be with you shortly." She drags me to the kitchen and pushes me into a chair.

"My mama is here?" 

"Oh shush! How many times have I told you not to go outside? To stay in your room, hm?" She frowns. "Mari!"

"Yes, madam." A young Mari responds.

"Didn't I tell you to watch her? You have been in charge of her since she was a babe, and you still can't take care of her!"

"I'm sorry, madam. It won't happen again."

"It better not!" She pushes my head with her finger and walks out of the kitchen as I start crying.

I'm jolted out of my memories by a hand, shaking my shoulder. "We've got to go now if we want to have some time to ourselves without that crone breathing down our necks." Marie folded her apron and placed it on a table.