CHAPTER SIX

Benjamin sighed as he tried to process my words. "Poor child, how can a father allow that to happen to his daughter?"

I paced around my office as her words replayed over and over in my head. "It happens sometimes."

He shot me an apologetic look from his place on the couch. "The young lady asked for your help, but this makes things much more difficult. She can't go back there again. The Adelysia dukedom is unstable right at this moment. The duchess' children are fighting among themselves for the estate."

"I agree. If they find out that there is another heir, especially one with no social backing, they will rip her to shreds."

"Then what are we going to do? She can't stay here without bringing her and your virtue into question, and we can't send her back home."

I sighed, "I have no idea." I racked my brains for a solution.

"Well, we have to figure something out soon, before it causes us problems" He pinched the bridge of his nose. "You should discuss this with the young lady."

Taking a deep breath, I nodded.

I locked myself in my room to ponder the question of what should I do? Without rest, I paced around my room day and night. When I got tired of looking at the same four walls of my bedroom. I moved to the office and resumed my laps around my desk. Each day I grunted and sighed in frustration as the stubborn question refused to be answered.

The door would open from time to time, and Benjamin would walk in with a plate of food. He would look at me for a brief period, and after finding whatever he was looking for, he crept out the door. 

On the fourth day, I decided that I had enough. Stepping out of my office, I trudged to the dining room. As soon as I walked in, Leyla stood up from her seat. 

"Are you alright? I haven't seen you in days." She blurted out.

I sat at the head of the table and gave her a small reassuring smile and a nod.

"I hope I didn't overwhelm you with what I said last time." She sat and wrung her hands on her lap. "I'm sorry that I sprang that upon you. I just needed someone to talk to."

"It's okay," I responded in a soft tone. What should I tell her? How should I tell her? I asked myself as I ate my soup in silence. What will she say? 

After some failed attempts at broaching the subject, I was able to find my voice. "I've been thinking," I trailed off and added, "About your predicament and how I could be of help." 

"Yes," she urged me with her eyes to continue.

"It's a difficult situation. You would be risking your life if you go back to your territory, and I can't provide you any protection. If I do. The royal court will accuse me of conflict of interest. Which won't be good for any of us." I stabbed a potato with my fork.

"I'll do anything. I'll become your maid." She inched forward in her seat, eyes pleading.

"The thing is, you're not of this dukedom. To make sure every citizen has enough employment opportunities in their territory. There are some set rules you need to follow. If you're planning to work on another dukedom. You need to apply in your territory to get approval to do so. If you do that, you will have to go back there and register your information with them. This means you can't only provide your name. You will have to register your last name. As well as information about your family. Which if you don't add it, you won't be approved, and if you do add it, it will―"

"Raise red flags and set a target over my head." She finished with a sigh.

I cleared my throat. "Yes."