Chapter 34: Jake

I nearly fell over backwards into the fountain when Harper kissed me. She pressed her lips lightly over mine, almost a whispered touch and at first I wasn't sure she'd even made contact. While my lips tingled and heart pumped harder, my eyes stayed open because she'd shocked the hell out of me.

"Harper..." I whispered into her lips. "What -"

"Sorry." She pulled back slightly but her fingers softly rubbed over my jaw. "I just -"

"Don't," I interrupted her, then closed the gap between us and covered my mouth over hers.

Warm, soft, and yep, buttery seafood-flavored, Harper's lips felt just as good as I remembered, and I missed how they felt smashed against mine. She jolted at the contact, which bumped her nose against mine and her sharp exhale rushed hot air over my cheek.

"What the fuck am I doing?" She pulled back with a gasp and cupped her hand over her mouth. Her pupils were slightly larger but shock filled her eyes. "I'm sorry, I have -"

"The worst sense of denial I've ever met if you think I didn't want that..." If she were anyone else, then I would've asked if that kiss was just for sympathy, but I cupped one arm around Harper so she stayed on my lap, and pulled out my phone with the other.

My thumb flipped through it until I opened my own video evidence, Drake's apology effort he'd sent me after Ethan was expelled. At the time, I hadn't known there was more to the conversation, but Harper's version that she'd played for me yesterday filled in the gaps.

As her voice rang out from my phone, her eyes widened, her hand clamped harder over her mouth, and her fingers depressed into her cheeks.

"There isn't a single fucking thing you can do, not even if you sleep with him, because he's mine. Sure, plenty have had his dick but in mind, soul, and heart, Jake Harrison is mine."

"I am," I growled out quietly as my other hand lifted hers off her mouth, cupped behind her head, and slammed her lips back against mine.

She made a whimper-like sound that vibrated my lips as I molded them with hers, push for push and pull for pull. Her fingers slipped up the back of my neck, threaded up through my hair, and her nails sank into my scalp.

Fuck, I missed that.

"Woah, wait..." she gasped, tugged on my hair, and pulled us apart. "This whole time... You knew!?"

"Sure did." My lips curled up at the corners at the sight of her larger pupils, two black mirrors that reflected my face in them, and pink cheeks. "That's why I waited for you."

I meant every word because, in her own way, Harper had shown that she was in my corner. Even if I wasn't fully aware at the time, or had my own head shoved too far up my ass, now I saw her intentions a lot more clearly.

"But why..." She dipped her head down but kept her hands' grasp on the back of my head. "Why did you do that?"

My thumb and index finger found the tip of her chin and guided her gaze back to mine. With how long I'd waited to say the words to her, I was surprised at how easily they flowed out my mouth, "Because I want more with you, Harper."

"I'm not going to say I don't either..." Uncertainty flooded into her eyes and trembled her lower lip, which drew my hand to her cheek. "But I'm shit at relationships, Jake."

I had absolutely no idea why but her admission relaxed my shoulders and brought a smile to my face.

Maybe it means she's not running away from dealing with her fear anymore.

"So am I." My lips twitched wider as a sparkle of amusement shone through her nerves. "One day at a time until we'll figure it out."

Since she still looking unconvinced, I added gently, "Look, I'm not asking you to marry me, not asking you to move in with me, fuck I'm not even asking to be your boyfriend. I just want a fucking chance to show you that I should be."