Chapter 17 - The Truth

3rd POV

In the kitchen of Y/n's apartment. That's where they were. Leon, Cleo and Y/n decided it would be the best place to be. It was a place away from the Daemos and away from Ava in case she and Y/n tried to cover each other's stories. Leon and Cleo wanted to truth and they were determined to get it.

"So..." Leon started, trying to break the silence but not exactly sure what to say. Y/n just continued to look sadly into her cup of tea as she leaned against the counter, facing away from her parents. She couldn't face them... How could she? They were always protective of her and wanted the best for her, but her parents thought she was in a harem?! She was stuck.

"Y/n." Cleo said monotonously. Y/n tilted her head slightly towards the voice of her mother but didn't face her, indicating that she was at least listening to her mother. "What is going on..? What happened to the little girl who would wander the gardens of the park every weekend and bring me a tulip? What's with all these boys? Is it my fault? Did I show you too much anime? I KNEW I SHOULDN'T HAVE SHOWN YOU FREE!-"

"IT WAS NEVER YOUR FAULT!" Y/n screamed, gripping her mug so hard it could shatter at any given moment. "It was never your fault, okay?" Y/n finally faced her parents; they gasped. Her eyes were welling up with tears and her nose was becoming red. Her mother ran and pulled her daughter into an embrace.

"It- I-" The (h/c)-haired girl words began to choke up in her throat. "I don't know. I don't know much, but one thing I do know is that... That little girl is a woman who is still trying to put the puzzles pieces of her fucked up life together." The girl was significantly taller than her mother so she put her chin atop her mother's head. She pulled away from Cleo's embrace, with slight difficulty as she struggled to escape her mother's death grip.

"But you don't have to do it alone," Cleo stated.

"Your mother's right, Y/n," Leon agreed, standing up from the kitchen stool and walking to his daughter's side. "We are your parents and guardians. We are here to help you with whatever you need. You've also got your uncles and Ava - even if Ava is going through some shit too," He said, receiving a slap on the arm from his wife and chuckling. "What I'm trying to say is that you aren't alone."

"But that's just it!" Y/n exclaimed, creating distance from her parents. "You say I'm not alone and yet I feel it! I feel so different from everyone else! But I don't know why! It tears me apart inside because I don't understand!" She started to cry, gripping the part of her chest in front of where her heart would be and turning away. "I keep a part of myself hidden from everyone! From Ava, the boys, my uncles! Even from you guys because I'm afraid of what you'd think of me!"

Cleo and Leon exchange knowing looks. They share a nod as if they were telepathically communicating. They faced their daughter as they said simultaneously, "Your magic?"

"Exactly! I keep it secret from everyon-" Y/n started but stopped herself. She turned around swiftly, "How the fuck do you know about that?" Her parents  laughed at their daughter.

"We're your parents," Cleo said, a-matter-a-factly, "You think we wouldn't know? We raised you, honey!" The (e/c)- eyed female gaped, but still tried to regain her composure by running a trembling hand through her (h/c) hair. "Oh my, I still remember when you discovered your first power! Do you remember, honey?" Cleo asked her husband.

"I do. She was at the park like she always was. When she saw an injured bird, she started to cry which alerted us. So we ran to check on her and found her holding the poor sparrow. We stayed by her side and and tried to stop her from crying until a bright light shone from the creature's wings. Soon enough, the sparrow was bouncing up and down in her hands in joy. That's when we realised she was a truly special child," Leon recollected, not realising he was looking out the window at a bunch of sparrows on the neighbouring buildings' apartment's window sill.