Ch. 57 - irresponsible

A/N: I apologize for the unannounced hiatus, life has been busy. I should be able to get back on a semi-consistent schedule in the next 6 weeks or so. Thank you for your patience!

Shinso POV

     I finished explaining the situation to Aizawa over the phone—thankfully he was awake—and he assured me not to panic. This was the former number one hero we were talking about, after all. I was instructed to wait where I was so All-Might or another teacher could hopefully bring him back from wherever they went. Then he told me that if Midoriya wasn't back within half an hour I should call him again.

     After that he mumbled something about beating All-Might up for taking his kid without concern for his physical health. Most of it was too difficult to understand though and I'm pretty sure I wasn't supposed to hear it. It was nice to know I wasn't the only one worried, even though Aizawa seemed so calm and collected.

     So, after he hung up I took a seat at the kitchen island and stared nervously at the wall for another five minutes until Mic-Sensei burst through the doors to the Gen-Ed dorms. The second he saw me he jogged over.

     "Come Shinso, Sho- Uhh, Eraserhead needs to speak with you." He corrected nervously, looking around at my old classmates in the common room.

     I noticed he grabbed Midoriya's wheelchair when he saw it as well, and I quickly followed him out of the building.

     "What's going on?" I ask when we're out of earshot of the general education building.

     "Not sure. Shota told me to get back to our room as soon as possible, and to bring you and the wheelchair. He seemed pretty serious. By the way, where is Izuku?"

     "All might just showed up out of nowhere about 15 minutes ago and practically dragged him off to talk about something. I may have panicked a bit and called Aizawa right after."

     "Ohh..." he said, scrunching his eyebrows together. "Then if I had to guess I'd say Izuku is with my husband right now, and something's probably wrong." We both sped up our pace when he said that.

     I had been to the building of the teachers dorms once or twice to meet Aizawa for training but had never actually gone in. It was smaller than any of the student dorms because there were less people staying in it, and only two stories. Each individual dorm was larger than the students dorms though, from what I had heard.

     Present Mic led us to a door on the first floor with his and Aizawa's hero names printed on it.

     The door was unlocked, and we stepped inside a small living room. Midoriya was sitting on an overstuffed brown leather couch, dabbing around his eyes with a tissue and breathing deeply. Aizawa was next to him offering to take the tear-drenched tissue to throw it away.

     "Hey kiddo." Present Mic greeted warmly. Midoriya looked up at us and offered a small smile.

     "Hey guys." Was his response, and I waved quietly as we walked over.

     "I'm going to have a talk with him." Aizawa said seriously to Midoriya, who suddenly seemed panicked.

     "I won't mention that you said anything. Now that you've explained the situation it's pretty obvious and I'm not sure how I didn't see it sooner, so I'll tell him that I figured it out myself near the beginning of the year. He'll end up explaining the rest himself since he can't keep his mouth shut, okay? I'll be back in a few hours." My curiosity peaked as Aizawa stood up from the couch and left.

     Midoriya nervously picked at a loose thread at the hem of his shirt as Present Mic sat next to him.

     "Whatever this is seems pretty private so I won't ask about it. Why don't the three of us play a card game? I think we've got a few in the other room and I'll bring one back." He smiles, expertly navigating away from whatever was bothering Midoriya and walking off to where I assume is the bedroom.

     Now it's just the two of us. What do I say?

     He pats the couch next to him and I'm thankful for the silent invitation. I sit a few inches away from him and he scoots over so our shoulders and thighs are touching.

     "Are, uhh... are your legs okay?" Is the only thing I can think to say.

     He gives me a small nod. "They feel better now that I'm sitting, but I'm pretty sure I wont be able to stand up for at least another fifteen minutes... I ran here from the main building." He mumbles guiltily.

     "Wow..." once again, I'm lacking in the talking department. "That's pretty far."

     "Yeah, well, it's not like I can't use my legs." He gives a small huff of annoyance, though it's obvious it's not directed at me. "Physical therapy helped me gain back a lot of what I lost in muscle mass and strength. This stupid band just damaged all of my muscles because of the strain it put on them. Recovery Girl healed most of it so it only feels like I've overworked my body while exercising. It's super sore but that's it." He grumbles, gently poking the band. His sudden childish attitude is almost enough to make me smile.

     "I'm back!" Mic sings, plopping down opposite of Midoriya and I on the floor. He pulls out a game and shuffles the cards, and I reluctantly scoot away from Midoriya so we won't be able to see each other's hand.

     I see Mic not-so-discreetly wink at me, glancing between Midoriya and I. I find that it doesn't take very long for the heat to crawl up my face and leave me a blushing mess. He's got it wrong. Midoriya was just seeking comfort, nothing more.

     And so, the three of us played cards for the next few hours and I made Midoriya drink a total of four bottles of water to help rehydrate him. I got to hear his laugh more than once which made me really happy and helped calm my nerves. I had been really nervous after All-Might practically dragged him away from me, and I felt even worse when I got to the teacher dorms and it looked like he had been crying. Seeing him laughing and smiling in front of me was a nice reassurance that he was alright, at least for now.

—-meanwhile—-
Aizawa POV

     I never liked that man. To say those things to a kid is unforgivable. Izuku can be a hero with or without a damn quirk, and he doesn't need this irresponsible asshole to help him.

     I really want to put a fist in his stupid smiling face right now.

     I walk through the main building angrily, and find him about to walk into Nezu's office.

     "All-Might."

     "Oh, hey there Eraserhead! I was just about to have a meeting with Nezu, maybe we can catch up later over lunch. Colleagues do that, right?"

1154 words.